My 450b steering clutch expierence

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CrawlerEd
MC crawler
MC crawler

My 450b steering clutch expierence

Post by CrawlerEd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:37 pm

Hey y'all.

I found this site doing some research on my 450b and the issue I was having and got a lot of good info pretty easily. I figured I would share my progress on doing steering clutches so that it might help someone as these posts helped me. I'm by no means an expert but I can turn a wrench pretty good so taking this on was a no brainier for me.

First, a short history on me and my machine. It's Monday as I'm writing this. I bought the machine exactly 6 days ago. It's a 450b with a 6way blade. Haven't pulled serial yet though I probably should have. Found the service manual online for free so I've used that as well to guide me through this. Hour meter shows 730 right now and it's still ticking. (Taking it at face value) however machine fires up with almost no smoke in about half a second on the button. Last service was at 564 hours in 2002 <--not a typo. Needed a couple hydraulic hoses and a fluid/filter change and I thought I'd be good to go.Got everything all changed out and decided to figure out how it works. Started doing some work pushing up brush and small trees and all of a sudden I couldn't turn left anymore. Immediately freaked out and thought I trashed the machine. Did some digging on the Internet and this site and found the adjustment procedure. Performed it once with no result. Decided to go a little tighter just to make sure and still nothing. I accepted my fate and got her limped to back of garage to start the tear down. Pictures to follow.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:57 am

Welcome to the boards. You've just experienced your first level of the love hate relation that old crawlers bring....

Currently I love my loader (it's been sitting most of the winter), I'm about to pull the injection pump to have it rebuilt and I'm pretty sure I'll be hating on it along the way....

Good luck!
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:21 am

Hi,

Yup. We love 'em when they go, hate it when they don't. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:06 am

HI ED and welcome IF you have not seen this yet, here is what you are in for

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... highlight=

more posts on the subject are great just REMEMBER we LOVE pics lots of them
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:14 am

There must be an established ratio of hours used to days fixed that defines happiness or satisfaction or some delusional variation there of.
I look at the 350C 6 way dozer with cracked steering clutch housing and asst stripped fasteners and think about how nice it manoeuvres in the bush and the great job it does building trail with the mini excavator.
The 350 straight loader with dozer and backhoe has moved a small mountain of dirt and a large one of snow and dug several miles of waterline in the 24 years I've owned it. Oh yeah, needs steering clutches, brakes and a reverser rebuild.
The 450C outside dozer is the mega pusher of the bunch and makes me feel fairly omnipotent as various obstacles yield before me. So far it mostly just runs and I give a small prayer of thanks for that every time.

CrawlerEd
MC crawler
MC crawler

Pictures!!! Hopefully...

Post by CrawlerEd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:19 pm

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/Ed_Re ... g%20Clutch

Let's see if that works. Pics are still uploading but hopefully we finish soon.

CrawlerEd
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by CrawlerEd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:26 pm

So the steering clutches are done. Overall it was terrible but not the worst thing I've ever worked on. Got back out there and got some work done and of course another failure. Injection pump... Decided to tackle this myself as well. Not many pics of this Job but I'll post em after the others finish uploading. I pulled the timing cover on pump and little black peices everywhere. Found a shop about an hour away with all the parts in stock including the special tools.
$145 out the door. Compared to 725 for a rebuilt or 4 to 5 for him to do it.

Now to my problem. I lined up the timing marks before I pulled pump. Didn't rotate engine any after they were lined up. Now as I go to reinstall pump with marks lined up the driveshaft isn't correctly lined up with rotor. It's less than 1/4 turn off. Do I just turn rotor and line it up and hope for best or did I miss something??

CrawlerEd
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by CrawlerEd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:40 pm

So the steering clutches are done. Overall it was terrible but not the worst thing I've ever worked on. Got back out there and got some work done and of course another failure. Injection pump... Decided to tackle this myself as well. Not many pics of this Job but I'll post em after the others finish uploading. I pulled the timing cover on pump and little black peices everywhere. Found a shop about an hour away with all the parts in stock including the special tools.
$145 out the door. Compared to 725 for a rebuilt or 4 to 5 for him to do it.

Now to my problem. I lined up the timing marks before I pulled pump. Didn't rotate engine any after they were lined up. Now as I go to reinstall pump with marks lined up the driveshaft isn't correctly lined up with rotor. It's less than 1/4 turn off. Do I just turn rotor and line it up and hope for best or did I miss something??