Reverser question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jtb51b
40C crawler
40C crawler

Reverser question

Post by jtb51b » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:58 pm

I have a question regarding my reverser. My machine never seems to pull immediately, it has to roll a little before it builds pressure. Basically if I pull up to a tree and roll into it with the reverser in forward I will push the tree over, however if I pull up and push and for whatever reason I stop, when I release the clutch or put the reverser back in forward it will just slightly load the engine and never pull. I can back up and hit the same tree after moving even a few inches and away we go. I also cannot start off in high gear on flat ground without the same result. I can only move in high if I am facing downhill or slightly rolling to begin, once I move in high its on, machine really hauls butt and seems very strong (of course up hill loads the engine to a stall if steep enough). What is going on here? Normal? One oly dozer guy said these machines were built like this to keep from tearing them up, but I dont really know myself. I am about to replace the left side clutch but before I spend that time I would like to know if I am headed for a reverser rebuild soon, as I could make it thru till winter and work on it then if thats the case,

Jason
JD 350B Loader (unknown serial number)

eidolon
420 crawler
420 crawler

350B reverser problems

Post by eidolon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:59 am

Your reverser problems/quirks sound very similar to mine. See my posts on JD350B reverser problems. A number of subscribers posted suggestions - last one by NWJDFAN who wondered what kind of oil I am using. I use the good quality 303 he suggests and have changed my filter (which did look well used). Right now, the dozer is sitting in the shed after my last attempt to use it. Got down over a small hill and barely was able to inch back up it in lowest gear. You might check your clutch pedal return. Some suggested that as a potential problem which would have been an easy fix. Unfortunately, not mine. My return spring is strong and the pedal returns where it should. Pulling back on both steering levers and releasing does seem to get it "inching" for a bit, but reving the engine does not help at all. In fact, it seems more inclined to move at an idle. LeonardL suggested I try adjusting the "rate of shift" screw on the reverser valve body. I have not yet tried that - seemed a last resort since the problem began rather suddenly, then stopped for awhile, then recurred. I thought overheating the oil might be a problem, but now it is just as bad when cold. Keep us posted on any success you may have in resolving your issue. BTW, my high gear is totally useless at this point. dozer wont even move in that gear.
JD 350B, IH 500E

jtb51b
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 350B reverser problems

Post by jtb51b » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:29 am

eidolon wrote:Your reverser problems/quirks sound very similar to mine. See my posts on JD350B reverser problems. A number of subscribers posted suggestions - last one by NWJDFAN who wondered what kind of oil I am using. I use the good quality 303 he suggests and have changed my filter (which did look well used). Right now, the dozer is sitting in the shed after my last attempt to use it. Got down over a small hill and barely was able to inch back up it in lowest gear. You might check your clutch pedal return. Some suggested that as a potential problem which would have been an easy fix. Unfortunately, not mine. My return spring is strong and the pedal returns where it should. Pulling back on both steering levers and releasing does seem to get it "inching" for a bit, but reving the engine does not help at all. In fact, it seems more inclined to move at an idle. LeonardL suggested I try adjusting the "rate of shift" screw on the reverser valve body. I have not yet tried that - seemed a last resort since the problem began rather suddenly, then stopped for awhile, then recurred. I thought overheating the oil might be a problem, but now it is just as bad when cold. Keep us posted on any success you may have in resolving your issue. BTW, my high gear is totally useless at this point. dozer wont even move in that gear.
I am using clean 303 oil in mine. The filter was changed about 20 hours ago. I do intend to change that filter again soon as it was very poorly maintained prior to me buying it. Mine seems to act the same in both high and low gears, but of course its more noticable in the higher speeds. 4th works fine in mine once its rolling, or if I start downhill. I dont know where I would use high as its WAY too fast for about anything, unless I were to run in high gear at low rpms just to track fast I guess. I have already been through the clutch rod cleaning ETC problem, this was around before and after that issue was resolved. I will read your post paying careful attention to leonards suggestions as he seems to know as much about these machines as any, and more willing to help than most.

Thanks for the reply.

Jason

jtb51b
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jtb51b » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Took LeonardL's advice and played with the reverser rate of shift screw. I backed it out 1/4 round and then proceeded to push up the compost pile. Loader is definitely better. It will take off in all 4 gears now on flat ground. I can start in 3rd on an uphill slope as well. Didnt try high on a hill as its basically unused anyhow. The operation of the reverser is firmer now for sure, I wouldnt call it harsh but I havent used it much yet either, if it feels too harsh I will run it back in a touch and try it out. Overall I would call it a success. I believe with new clutches this would be about unstoppable. IT was very nice to be able to push up into the pile and then once I was done lifting I could still inch forward if to get more "on top" of the pile.. Very handy.

Thanks for the advice!

Jason