Broken Front Idler

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I could be wrong, but I am almost 100% sure that a 350 never used a 2 piece master link. I have never heard or seen any reference of any sort as to it's existence.
I have however spent a few hours looking for the dimple on a master pin, and as much as it pisses me off to say it, the damn thing was there, found it on about the 57th time around.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Mon May 09, 2016 4:17 pm

I am thinking I might have to talk to the previous owner who put the track together after rebuilding everything. He said something about having a hard time lining up the pin, and nothing about bolting the track pad together to hold it, BUT this is coming third hand; my father is really good friends with him and often times my Dad gets things confused.

I do see in a stack of receipts for the rebuild 2 years ago that he bought a John Deere bushing from John Deere as an OEM part. Is it possible that he put a regular pin in the tracks and not the special master pin? I was told the latter is turned a few thousandths smaller so it fit in easier. I would not think he could pound in a regular track pin, but it would explain why he had trouble.

All that being said, I will be honest on two counts. I was under the impression that the "dimple" was significant, like a countersink hole; 1/8th or 1/4 inch in size. I am beginning to wonder now by your description if I am looking for something like a center punch mark, like used to keep a drill bit from wondering instead? If that is indeed the case, then I might have missed it indeed. I just turned 42 yesterday and have to say, sometimes this old welders eyes must squint to read fine print. If I have to dig out my glasses to see a tiny center prick mark, I am going to be mad before this project even commences. :-)
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Mon May 09, 2016 4:21 pm

Oh I forgot to say, I had a great conversation with PondHogVT today and it seems as if he can get me an idler for this machine.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue May 10, 2016 8:44 am

I found the master pin. It was marked by a ridge around the perimeter of the pin in an odd way. It is hard to describe, but basically it just looked different then the others, but barely.

Now to get it out. I foresee a lot of pounding in the near future.

Do you guys leave the track pads on, or remove one to get at the pin better?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 10, 2016 3:16 pm

IF you are going to beat it out cold, leave the pad on, less chance of link breakage. In fact, I would leave it on regardless. I never beat them out cold, burn the center out of both ends with a torch, let it cool, and they come out real easy.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed May 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Thanks Lavoy, we did manage to get everything out today. Once we got past the track's master pin things progressed really fast. Now that I have been underneath of it for a day or two, I see some areas that need attention.

The blades wear points being some of them, but a lot of that is weldable stuff. That is my trade so I have no issues with that at all.