1973 JD350B

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Thu May 26, 2016 5:36 pm

Hey Stan I have a 1973 350B (confirmed with Deere) with dry brakes. Cutting Edge has a (D) with problems. I don't know much about them either but have learned a few things on here. Next ? I have is how do you grease the rollers? Do they have a special fitting to grease them with?

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu May 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi,

Yes, those are called Button Head fittings. Grainger has them, I think. Also McMaster and MSC carry them. They are for high flow compared to a zerk.

You use a low pressure, high flow gun with them. Standard guns blow the seals out because you can't feel when they get full.

The usual gun is an Alemite 4015-A4. Warning: they ain't cheap.....

I see one on Amazon for 160. That is a pretty good price.

The usual grease is JD Corn Head grease. This is a No 0 grease. Sits like a grease until it moves, then flows like an oil. Get it from a JD Agricutural dealer. An Industrial or Commercial dealer won't know what it is. Ag dealers have it for combine corn heads.

It is pretty much the same as the long unavailable Track and Roller Lube.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Went to Deere today to check on a grease gun and grease for rollers. They said to use a regular gun and grease. They never heard of corn head grease. So I ordered gun from Amazon to be delivered in July sometime (some service that is). Is there a special grease I can pick up at the auto parts that will work too? Thanks

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Did you try a John Deere agricultural equipment dealer for the corn head grease? As previously mentioned the construction industrial and agricultural divisions of John Deere often don't have much knowledge of the other divisions product lines. Depending on how many old crawlers are around some construction dealers will have corn head grease on the shelf and others will be clueless about it. Supposedly regular grease is too viscous to flow properly in slow turning tight clearance applications like crawler rollers. So far as grease guns go I found an Alemite dual purpose hi pressure low volume /low pressure hi volume gun for about $50.00 that has served me well.

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks for the info. Will try to find an AG Deere close by. The Deere I went to sells and works on bulldozers track hoes and such. I would have thought they would carry these items there.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:17 pm

I agree with what has been said- I had to get corn head grease at my John Deere ag dealer. It was pretty funny when I did because I ordered several tubes and they remarked "what you have a couple of corn heads to out up for the winter"? When I told them it was for crawler track rollers they thought I was crazy. :lol:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi,

The thing is you want NLGI Number 0 grease at the thickest, which is what Corn Head grease is.

Those grades run from 000 to 6 with 2 being the most common for both chassis and wheel bearings (although a couple WB greases are 3).

Used to be, every brand of oil and grease came in all the weights and grades, and even with different thickening metallic soaps. All based on application. No more. Now it seems as if all of it is number 2 and thickened with Lithium soap. I could say something about all this difficulty finding different greases to be Number Two.....

So. What we can readily get is Number 0 Corn Head grease and that only from a Green JD Ag dealership. Not from the Yellow Industrial one. Not from the Green Commercial one. The Ag one. And....sometimes not even then if your area has no one farming corn.

But, any JD Ag dealer can order it if they don't stock it. They all ought to stock it, though. The danged rotating display rack they use is preprinted with spaces for all the tubes of lube JD Ag machines use.

Other than JD, you have to find a real lubricant dealer, like Chevron or Mobil or the like and tell them you want a Number 0 or 00 or 000 grease. In a tube. Because lubricant dealers will just as likely sell it in a 120 pound can as in a tube. And then you need a pump on the can to load it into the gun....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks for all the great info. So today I tried adjusting steering and brakes. Left side went pretty good but have a problem with right side. First of all it needs a new ball joint. Can you still get these from Deere? Second thing is after loosening everything up and tring to adjust the cluth control arm it wound not move and the throw out bearing is tight against the fingers.Queation now is it ok to loosen control arm on shaft to get a little free play to work with or is there another trick to fix this problem?