Backhoe Hydraulic Plumbing

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
HodgieMoggy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Backhoe Hydraulic Plumbing

Post by HodgieMoggy » Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 am

Could someone post or send me a few pictures of which ports on the main spool that the hydraulic hoses plumb into to run the backhoe.

Thanks,
JD555

HodgieMoggy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by HodgieMoggy » Thu May 19, 2016 1:17 pm

I guess I should have stated I have a 555.
JD555

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 19, 2016 4:39 pm

I don't have the answer offhand, but have you looked at the free parts diagrams on JDParts?

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

HodgieMoggy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by HodgieMoggy » Fri May 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Quick update. I plumbed it how I thought it should be, what I figure the return line to be was already installed I just had to add a bit to get it to the back. My clue that it was return was a line tee'd off going to the filter. I then hooked in what I figure is the pressure to a port, a large 1" plus port on the outside and centre of the spool bank. The problem is the hoe won't function I can see the main lines flexing when I move hoe control levers but there is no functionality. I know the hoe works as I hooked it up to a bobcat at work before hooking up to the loader. If anyone has any ideas as to my problem please let me know.
Also do the aux main lines need to be connected together when the hoe is off.

Thanks,
JD555

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon May 23, 2016 6:56 am

I have read on several threads throughout the years that yes, the hoses have to be connected together when the hoe is not installed or it will bog the motor and burn out the pump. I wish I could be of more help but I do not have a hoe.

Good luck.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon May 23, 2016 12:10 pm

You need to be very careful in what you do here to make sure you have the hydraulic lines hooked up the way they need to be, or at a minimum you could blow a pump and worst case someone could get hurt.

The question you need to answer first is- do both the crawler and the hoe use the same flow system (open center or closed center)? Earlier crawlers up through the 350s and 450s were open center and the earlier backhoe attachments were also open center, although later hoes especially not meant for those crawlers could be closed center as well.

Open center means that the plumbing and attachments are in series and there has to be a continuous flow path from the pump to reservoir. When an open center system is "deadheaded", such as not connecting the hydraulic couplers when not in use or connecting a closed center attachment to an open center system, you risk blowing the pump because it is a rotary pump providing continuous flow at all times. Closed center systems basically are run in parallel so are designed to "deadhead" by providing flow from an "on demand" pump as various valves are open or closed.

What I don't know, and someone needs to answer is:

1) Do the 555s have an open or closed center system (I don't have one so don't know)?

2) Is the hoe attachment closed center or open center?

Once you can confirm compatibility we can walk through the next steps. FYI, since the backhoe worked on the skid steer you may be able to confirm the type of system it has, and thus the system the hoe has. There are other ways to confirm such as the arrangement of the hoses relative to the valve stack.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

HodgieMoggy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by HodgieMoggy » Mon May 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks Tigerhaze,
For the info I will confirm the points you raised and update accordingly.
JD555