Diference btwn 450E and 450G?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
gimpycrawler
MC crawler
MC crawler

Diference btwn 450E and 450G?

Post by gimpycrawler » Thu May 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Is there someplace I can go to see a side by side comparison between the two?

Also, where can I buy used Grousers and buy boxes of new Grouser bolts for my 450E?

Thanks in advance.
Gimpy
JD450E

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Diference btwn 450E and 450G?

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri May 20, 2016 2:53 pm

gimpycrawler wrote:Is there someplace I can go to see a side by side comparison between the two?.
I can't answer that directly (although you could look at the spec sheets on the murphy Tractor website), but these threads also discuss differences.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... light=450e

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... light=450e
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

gimpycrawler
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gimpycrawler » Fri May 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Tigerhaze,

Thank you. I got what I needed. Much appreciated.
Gimpy
JD450E

johnjast
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Diference btwn 450E and 450G?

Post by johnjast » Sun May 22, 2016 4:34 pm

gimpycrawler wrote:Is there someplace I can go to see a side by side comparison between the two?

Also, where can I buy used Grousers and buy boxes of new Grouser bolts for my 450E?

Thanks in advance.
i am at the price quote step of re-grousing a 455G
3 best places have found follow, only 4ncorp will bevel,
my criteria is strictly price, i dont really know how to gauge hardness
by the way, do you know if i can use a light weigt lincoln 100 mig welder with flux core wire?

www.4ncorp.com 814-676-4477 Phone
www.fordsteel.com
www.dura-tuff.com

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Tue May 24, 2016 11:13 pm

I welded grouser stock on my 350 loader pads with a Lincoln SP175 wire feeder and .035 flux core wire and it worked well. A 100 amp welder might be iffy but try a few and see. Might have to preheat a little or just rent a bigger welder for a day or 2.

johnjast
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by johnjast » Wed May 25, 2016 9:17 am

@NWJD fan
thanks for your reply.

And sorry to all for taking this stream off topic, I am new to all this.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed May 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Welder by trade...

If you know of a large metal fabrication shop you might be able to get the quality control guy to come out and test the hardness of the steel. It is done by using a sort of hydraulic press onto the steel and measuring the indentation it makes. The harder the steel, the less of an indentation. Its called the Rockwell Test, though the Brinell test is another method. Still I think its not warranted.

There are many ways to harden steel, but hard surfacing rod is probably the best way on tracks. I actually used to enjoy doing so in an fabrication shop where they would rebuild cranes every year. It cost them about 1 million dollars to rebuild a crane, but a new one was 2 million, so you can do the math. The tracks got a lot of hard surfacing done. We used to do it with just stick welding as it was considered better, but then switched to wire feed because it was so much faster.

Hard surfacing is different then other welding and it runs like crap so welds look awful so don't be scared, its not you. And with the steel being inherently dirty, it does not help either, but hard surfacing really makes a difference.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

gimpycrawler
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gimpycrawler » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Still wish I could find a good source for replacement grousers. I'm missing almost a dozen. Also need a few boxes of the bolts.
Gimpy
JD450E

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:27 am

You have not tried Vtrack, which is a valuepart subsidiary? They have track shoes listed for John Deere 450E's on their website. That was where my track shoes came from on my dozer although it was through a local after market parts place, but you could call their toll free number and get advice I am sure. They were cheap too, far cheaper then welding on grouser bars...in both time and money in my opinion.

http://www.constructionundercarriage.co ... riage.html
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

gimpycrawler
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gimpycrawler » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Thank you. Checking them out as we speak.
Gimpy
JD450E