Turning brake band drums on a 350C

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
DonD49
MC crawler
MC crawler

Turning brake band drums on a 350C

Post by DonD49 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:55 am

I am a new member of your forum although I have checked into it a number of time the last several years. I have a 350C loader that has been a reliable little work horse for several years. It recently shelled out the transmission so I now have a loader frame with a motor and reverser inside it and a sizable pile of parts. I am slowly gathering together the parts I need to rebuild everything but I have one issue I could use some advice on.
The clutch / brake drum has 3 grooves worn in the outside about 0.040" deep. My goal is to thoroughly rebuild everything so I never have to do this again (at my age that seems a reasonable goal) but I am kind of choking on the $1200 each new price so my questions are -
Has anyone turned down the band side of the drum?
Is there a minimum OD dimension for the band surface? I have a service manual with a lot of specs but I cannot find this.
Is it possible to get a thicker than stock band ling to compensate for the stock removed by turning?
Has anyone tried to weld up the grooves and then turn everything smooth?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Don
Don D

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Assuming that the grooves are relatively smooth I would NOT worry about them
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:00 am

On the dry clutch machines, I can get thicker line bands, but I am not sure on a wet clutch machine. I can check if you want, give me a call, or shoot me an e-mail.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com