350C reverser Farmer Fix part deux.....

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

350C reverser Farmer Fix part deux.....

Post by amos » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:56 pm

many,many good responses to my first farmer fix post which redirected my trouble shooting so here's the update:
Original problem was reverser oil transferring to transmission.Did find weep hole on rear of reverser case and it's dry so my reverser rear seal isn't the problem.
Is is NOT the clutch seals as suggested since with clutch case and tranny drained and the reverser filled and pumping the oil flow is from the center of the transmission through the outer carrier bearings and from there into the steering clutch cases.
Next is a suggestion of removal of the steering valve block under the seat.
Can't find a drawing so:
remove the supply and return oil lines and remove lever linkage pins. Then remove the 4 bolts attaching valve body to upper transmission case. When I lift the valve body I should see 4 oil lines(1 supply and 1 return for each steering clutch.
Question is how are those lines attached to the underside of the valve body?

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:46 pm

finally found a print. Valve body to transmission case the are 4 o rings for the oil passages. Then there are o rings on the steel lines going to the clutch quills: one up high and one down low near the quill(per line).
Now assuming my leak is at the o rings on the upper area of the steel lines near the valve plate how do you replace those?
Can it be done from the top through the opening when the steering valve is removed?

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:03 am

Those little lines are just a swedge fit. They're pretty stiff. Mine were changed bysliding the quill off the side of the transmission.( I know that isn't what you want to hear!) Try to wiggle them or gently pry on them and see if they will cooperate, I don't think there is much room in there when everything is together. Here is a pic so you can see an unobstructed view

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

good pic

Post by amos » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:33 am

Thank you for the picture:it helped.My "farmer fix" was to cross-connect the sumps and it seems to be working. I will pop the valve plate and check valve plate to tranny case o rings but changing those steel line o rings will have to wait till another day...
Looks to be a rather large winter project.