450 C winch brake adjustment.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Idaho jarhead
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 C winch brake adjustment.

Post by Idaho jarhead » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:09 pm

I have a 450 C with a winch brake that won't hold especially on heavier turns. Sometimes it will slip for 10-20 feet before grabbing and holding, but it seems to be getting worse and I'm hoping to get some advice on removing dry side winch cover. I have a manual for adjustment specs on brake spring, but I also have an arch on the machine and can't quite get cover to slip between the winch and arch frame. I'm sure it's hanging up on the hydraulic fitting for the clutch pack and don't want to force it. I'd just pull the arch assembly, but it looks like there are two locator pins on the rear of the tractor that are welded to the arch. Anyone know if there are locator pins back there or if it's possible to get the cover off without removing the arch? The winch pulls fine and when released the weight of the sliders is enough to unspool cable, so I don't see how it could be a cable adjustment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DH 130 excavator
JD 450 C six way with wnnch and arch
Oliver HG 42 crawler loader
Bobcat 853 h
Woodmizer lt 40 sawmill

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

winch brake

Post by pondhogvt » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:07 pm

Idaho,, you will have to pull the arch to do any work on clutch side and it will be so much easier when off... there are only two big bolts on each side of the bottom of the arch that hold it on and 4 smaller bolts up by the top roll of arch on the inside that bolt to the winch...

there should be no welded placements from the dozer to the arch unless a previous owner made something... arch comes off in 15 minutes with air tools...

get the clutch side winch cover off and inspect... instead of me guessing what it is... tell us what you see...

if you see any oil that is your problem and it might be just starting so you caught it in time...

If everything looks rusty but dry that is a good thing... but still run your finger across the bottom of the little hydraulic cylinder that releases the brake,, if you have a drop of oil on your finger replace that o-ring seal inside the cylinder as it will ruin the brake band.. hopefully just your springs are weak and alittle adjustment is all that's needed.. goodluck Mark
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.

Idaho jarhead
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Idaho jarhead » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks for the helpful info Mark, it looks pretty straight forward just didn't want to have it turn into a bigger project than I want to mess with in the woods. Any idea how thick the lining material on a new brake band is? If it's worn over 50-60% of service life I may try and order a new one if it's not cost prohibitive, or they're unavailable. Got my finger in to feel bottom of dry side case and it was dry, but will definitely inspect fitting for brake release cylinder and let you know what see. Thanks again for the good info.
DH 130 excavator
JD 450 C six way with wnnch and arch
Oliver HG 42 crawler loader
Bobcat 853 h
Woodmizer lt 40 sawmill