Old - but NEW - Filters and Oil - OK to Use?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bugman
MC crawler
MC crawler

Old - nut NEW - Filters and Oil - OK to Use?

Post by bugman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:01 am

I have a late 70's 450C that was my Dad's. It sat idle for the last 8-10 years of his life (he passed away in 2013), so... it's been 10+ years since it's been really used.

I have cranked it now & then (2-3 times a year maybe?) just to be sure it didn't rust together COMPLETELY (oh, and it's been kept under a shed - open on ends but covered, so not out in the rain).

Last month it wouldn't start, replaced the fuel pump on it & now she starts fine & sounds OK (haven't moved her, just cranked & let idle for few minutes).

It's time to get her back in action & push down some trees!! (wife & I have 28 acres & are ready to build a house).

I think there are some brand new JD filters (oil... fuel... air) in Dad's shop that have been sitting on the shelf for 10 years or more (maybe 15?).

I would assume that I should NOT use them, but before I tossed them I thought I'd get some opinions - WOULD they be OK to still use, or should I buy new ones?

Also, there are prob a few 5-gal cans of Hy-Guard & other oils in there that are also prob at least 10 yrs old. Same question - trash it all & start fresh, or would it be OK to use?

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by bugman on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:10 am

If the filters are clean, not dusty, and have been in a dry building, I would use them. Any swelling like they absorbed moisture of any sort, or dust, I would chuck them.
If the oil has been sealed up tight, not in an open top container, should be fine.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:51 am

Agree with LAVOY 100% if the filters are still boxed and dry and the oil has been out of the rain GO FOR IT :D :D
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper