450B steering assist cylinder issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
my74ls4
MC crawler
MC crawler

450B steering assist cylinder issue

Post by my74ls4 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:03 pm

I now own a 1973 450B dozer. I had a leak from one of the steering cylinders so I ordered the seal kit and resealed both cylinders. Took it for a spin and noticed fluid leaking from under dozer. Parked the dozer and started looking for the leak. On the turnbuckle that attaches to the steering lever I saw it leaking at a pretty good pace. Upon further looking with a little help the fluid appears to be coming from the threaded part of the turnbuckle attached to the steering lever. Is there a hole in the valve shaft? I do not remember one being there when I resealed them. If there is a hole that would explain where the fluid is coming from. If there is a hole in the shaft I hope it is threaded. It will be a few days before I can remove the cylinders to address the leak. If there is not a hole in the end of the valve shaft it is back to the drawing board. I can see the fluid exiting the threaded part of the turnbuckle. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

my74ls4
MC crawler
MC crawler

Update

Post by my74ls4 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Update. I removed the left steering lever and the turnbuckle at the end of the cylinder. Looking at the end of the cylinder shaft there is a 1/4" hole in the center of the shaft. This is where the oil is coming from. The hole appears to have a ridge just on the inside edge. The hole is not threaded. What is the hole for? How can I plug it? Other than having to adjust one sides brake the power steering appears to be functioning as designed. This leak is driving me nuts.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Would seem like a bleed hole of some sort, but no real clue, sorry.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

my74ls4
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by my74ls4 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Looking at the service manual and now I question myself if I got the valve seat installed correctly. Part T24782 is the seat I am referring to. It looks like it should be slightly beveled on the side facing the piston. Did not notice that at the time as I was focusing on the seals. Guess it is time to remove the cylinders again.

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:06 pm

What did you find out about the seal in the assist cylinder?
I may need to do that on my B- one side requires more effort on the steering lever even after adjustment.
Does anyone know if there are any components that fail or require replacement in the diverter?
Thx,
DB

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:58 pm

If one side requires more pull than the other, you might have oil on the brake band in that side. These "Bs" are designed to be dry in the brake-steering clutch housing, but if water gets in from rain or an open bottom, or if the axle shaft seal leaks, it will affect your braking. Also oil on the clutch plates will require more braking on the other side to affect a turn. Sometimes these old Deeres just need a complete overhaul of the final drives.
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 pm

J-T-R,
Thank for the suggestion.
I think the issue may be the flow divider or assist cylinder.
The trouble is intermittent and, when I relined the brake band a few years back, the housing was dry.

DB