Possibly buying a JD 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Possibly buying a JD 450

Post by vthartford » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:10 pm

I am currently looking at two JD 450's for around the farm. Both are believed to be late 60's models.

One has a 6-way blade, undercarriage is in good shape, although I can felt a slight flat spot on the pins. It also has an early 80's motor in it. Seems to run good, although the right brake is not grabbing well. I can get it to grab if I really pull on it. Clutches seem to work fine. The blade busings are loose but strong. The onwer wants $7000 firm.

The other is a 2-way outside mount fixed blade. I have not gottten on this machine yet, hopefully tomorrow. I think I can get it for about $5000.

What do you think? Also, after I use it for a year or two, does the resale value hold?

Thanks,
Bill

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:54 pm

Bill a flat spot on the bushing is a good indication of wear but watch if it is close to equal on front and back of the bushing I dont think anyone has mentioned this but the wear in forward is on the back of the pin and the wear on the front of the bushings is reverse wear there should be more ware in forward or back of bushing Running the tracks too tight will show up quickly here If you can see or feel the pin the tracks are done If the drive sprocket is worn out the peeks will be worn down or sharp this is a good indicator Also watch the front idler is riding in the middle of the frame guides it sits on If this is too far forward the pins and bushings are wore out I have a construction equipment guide to track life if any one would be interested in this I guess I could post a condensed version if theres any intrest The brake needs to be set up but watch your clutch will set up also as this happens The 6 way blade is a good resale as outside mount blades are wider and clumsy units worth considerably less. Up to the seventys they were considered tougher [and probably are] But 6 way is just more in demand and easyer to live with Get me the serial number and I can tell you the year.Digitup.