straight 450 front cross bar repair / welding advice

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jim S.
420 crawler
420 crawler

straight 450 front cross bar repair / welding advice

Post by Jim S. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:05 am

I am fixing up a 450 loader that has a number of frame and crossbar problems (see nearby post). I have fixed the frame problems (broken bolts into bell housing and cracked frame channel) and now it is on to the front crossbar attachments to the track frame.

My basic question is whether it is definitively known whether the front cross bar is cast steel (weldable) or cast iron (not normally welded in this configuration). I have researched the board and note several references to welding but it is not totally clear to me.

My crossbar has been welded by the previous owner but virtually all welds have broken. It is not clear to me whether that is because of the welders skill, lack of joint prep, or because it is cast iron. The pictures show the scale of the problem. I will probably need to pull the track frames to properly remove the broken bolts and clean up all the welding in readiness for new cap screws (and re-welding?). Also, I understand it is best to bolt/weld the cross bar solid rather than with floating bushings as OEM.

Is anyone able to confirm actual weldability of the crossbar?
Jim

Image Image Image Image Image

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

broken welds

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:14 pm

I think those parts are weldable

Look at the cross section of those 4 bolts

The total cross section of your weld must be at least that much which I dont think it is

Plus there isnt enough penetration into your base material

you need higher heat for your reweld and perhaps grind the joint into a vee first

any cracks at the end of the weld or the inevitable one from behind will tend to propagate and cause the weld to break

sometimes there is more to welding than just weld er up
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck