JD 350C reverser

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
DavidG
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350C reverser

Post by DavidG » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Long post not working so I will shorten it up.

Dads old dozer, a 1977 350C, 6 way blade, 1350 hrs (sn:279xxxT) has sat 10 years, engine periodically run. Last time dozer ran, dozer stopped moving in F and would only move with reverser in R.

Engine starts and runs good, hyd system is good except for a few hoses, has new sprockets and pins and bushings. Rest of U/C looks good and no cracks in frame or supports. Could use a little paint and new seat but mechanically in pretty good shape.

Started messing with it recently. Test gauge is 120psi in N, 140psi in F or R with Trans in N. In R, engine loads up as clutch is released. Shifting reverser to F, without pressing clutch, pressure stays low, about 40psi. With clutch pressed, with reverser in any position, cant shift trans into any gear, just scratching.

Any thought on specific issues? I think one of the clutches (R) is sticking. Dozer is located about an hour South of Dallas and will be looking for a shop to rebuild reverser if needed.

Pressure test video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YML2wZQMts

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:12 am

Steering Clutch? What happens when you move the steering handles? Pull both back then let them spring forward.
450C Track Loader
291457T

DavidG
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DavidG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:46 am

Dont belive it is the steering clutches. I cant even get the transmission shifted into a gear. Whichever gear I try to put it into, the gears start scratchin. Im afraid to force it. It seems like the transmission input shaft is spinning still with the clutch pressed. I pressed the clutch fully until the pedal hits metal so I beleive I have full travel and I cleared out all the trash and dirt around clutch pivot point. The pressure drops to zero too.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:49 am

Main clutch disk is frozen. Are you able to out it into gear with the engine off. Maybe just bumping the starter to get it into gear. Be careful if you start it in gear. If your clutch disk is stuck the only way you csn stop is to pull both levers or kill the engine. Disks can come loose with use.

DavidG
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DavidG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 am

By main clutch, are you refering to the forward clutch in the reverser? I think either the F or R clutch is sticking. When shifting reverser to R, while transmission is in N, the engine bogs like a load is being placed on it. When shifting reverser to F, while transmission is in N, the engine doesnt bog down.

Heres the reverser hydraulic flow diagram.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Usta have one just like it. Had to run it awhile in forward and reverse (in neutral) until the warped clutch plate warmed up. Worked for years. Even bogged in neutral until plate was warm.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:59 pm

It would seem as if your forward clutch has failed (like you mentioned) and now is stuck or sticking. Pressures should momentarily drop when shifted from N to R or F and then bounce back. The 40psi you have in forward indicates the piston seals are blown or the piston has over traveled. Since the F clutch is always engaged, when you shift to R, the reverser is trying to go into both gears at the same time, and kills the engine. Since the reverser cant get in a "neutral" state, you cant shift the transmission into gear. The reverse clutch might be OK, but do both clutches if you have it apart. Also, 350Cs do not have a "main" clutch per say, the reverser input shaft spins any time the engine is running.

Calgary Glenn
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Calgary Glenn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:06 pm

I have a complete HYD FNR transmission that I could sell. I bought it for my 350C and did not use it.
Text me at 403 478 1454 if interested
Glenn