JD450 engine parts and numbers

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 engine parts and numbers

Post by Mariner » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Hi all,

Thought I would throw out this bit of information in the hope that it might save someone going through the inconvenience and expense that I have recently gone through.

I am in the middle of an out of frame rebuild for the engine for my 1968 crawler loader. I chose to go the John Deere parts route on the recommendations of several people as JD would know what parts are good and any/all modifications over the years.

Well, I have to date, lost about three weeks due to the wrong parts being ordered from my local JD dealer which has culminated in my trying to use cylinder and pistons (incorrectly ordered by spare parts person) that were not for my model engine. End result looks like I will be stuck for $1200 - $1300 out of my own pocket - long story, please don't ask. I found the reason why by checking out an aftermarket source for parts - Reliance.

At no time when ordering parts was I asked for any information other than machine type, machine serial number, engine type, engine model, engine serial number - I also gave the year of manufacture (1968).
Using JD for parts has cost me about $1200 out of pocket expenses.

I checked out Reliance parts website - easy to navigate and determine parts and numbers. There I found out that early model 4-202D engines were made with two cylinder liner sizes. One size was 3.860"(I think) and the other was 4.020". Of course the last liner piston set I got was the wrong size and got used (assembled) so no chance of return. This difference in sizes is indicated by the engine block part number. The engines with the larger diameter liners and pistons had the following two block numbers T26933 or T32342. The engines with these block numbers have the larger bore of 4.020".

I wouldn't ordinarily recommend a parts source, but I am so mad at the local JD dealer parts department that I doubt if I will ever buy from them again unless I absolutely have to. I have found Reliance personnel (Portage La Prairie, Manitoba) to be knowledgeable, know what questions to ask, their computer data system good, prices very competitive and delivery times good.

I am sure that this might sound like an unfortunate mishap, but when you have returned various parts two or three times because of wrong order numbers, one gets a bit suspicious. Is it the competence of the parts person or is it the computer software that the John Deere dealer is using. It appears that there was no flagging to raise the point of different production sizes - go figure. Yet, the Reliance website has clear and concise instructions and information regarding manufacturer changes and differences. A quick look at the site will show what I mean.

Not wanting to bore you, though being able to vent a bit has helped. Thought this information might be of help to a new owner of an older crawler/loader/dozer that needs to do an engine rebuild.

HTH

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:08 pm

Mariner I have found that the Brant people can push stupidity to the brink than they wonder why a person would have little too do with them as I said they didnt know why I wouldnt buy a dozer from them after they were $12000 higher than any one else also the sales man pushed John Deere Finance down my throat after multipul times I told them' paying cash'They just pissed me off time after time and if I mentioned any thing they looked at me stupid then did it all over again Looking back I should have sent you to thr closest Deere Ag dealer instead I find Ag derlers have a lot more'parts smarts'and comon curtisy I also find Industrial just want to sell new machines and parts for newer machines only!. Digitup.

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:07 am

"Kick 'um while they are down, it's easier" LOL

Since we have this wound open, while it has not cost me near the money it cost you, watch out for JD part numbers that have been "subed". Here is one of many examples. If you give them the original part number for a dash light on a 730, they say they have it and can get it. What they do not tell you is that some imbecile that is only focused on profits has changed the part to a different one. The dash light you will get is not what you ordered. When you try to discuss it with them, all they say is, "I ordered the part number you gave me and that is what you have." That was my introduction to doing business with JD Ag 6 years ago.
The Industrial Dealers do seem more in touch with this type of equipment.
Thanks for allowing me to vent.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:47 pm

Here is a good one they tried on me While standing in the dealers repair shop watching them work on my 5420 I watched a repair man put a crimp on electrical turminal on a manual oil presure guage line on the machine next to mine the other day I questioned him as to why he did that and he told that that is what crimp on terminals were for [sarcasticly]I just walked into the managers office and anounced that I figured you didnt have to be too briliant to be well paid around here He droped every thing he was doing and we went to the shop and I pointed out the mess I guess that good help is hard to find but they shure lost my confidence in a hell of a hurry.Digiyup.

sandman2234
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sandman2234 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:05 pm

My favorite saying is just that...
Good help is hard to find!
David from jax

My JD2555 tractor has needed two parts since I purchased it last year. Both parts have come in wrong, or unusable.
The funny one is the differential dipstick, which I lost while doing some rough bush hogging. The new one, with the right part number on it, came in as a plastic adjustable dipstick. The packaging says to use the old one to set the oil level marks on the new one. Duhhhh, if I had the old one, why would I be buying this plastic piece of junk?
The second one was a rebuild kit for the left steering cylinder. Cost, $128, but it wasn't even close to being right after I waited a week for it to get here. The local hydraulic shop rebuilt it, using their parts for $40 total. A week later he came to the house and rebuilt the right side, same price dispite the cost of gas he had to burn. Plus it saved me a lot of trouble removing it.
David from jax
Have gun, will travel

Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 parts and numbers

Post by Mariner » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:05 am

Hi all,

Just thought I would update this and say that I finally did get the correct parts - however, I had to pay extra money for them. The excuse was the restocking charge and freight etc. The plus is that I now have the engine "up and running". I ran it yesterday afternoon for an hour and all seems good so far - no apparent major leaks. Even the timing seems to be pretty close as it fired up right away without any hesitation, once the fuel injectors were bled.

Has been a long haul with most of the wasted time due to parts orders being wrong from the" stealership" in Prince George.

Now the fun begins, hope to have it outside tomorrow to do a bit of pushing and running in of the engine - still have the ROPS, front cover etc. to replace.

Mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.