Steering problems 350b

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
hdokes
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: Steering problems 350b

Post by hdokes » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:00 pm

I do have a torch. Also have a plasma cutter which may do a better job. Key, like Lavoy said, would be to avoid the links with it. I will begin to look into that and see which way I may go. Have to get my tanks refilled for the torch option.

Lavoy, should this conversation be moved to a new thread or do you think it is fine here? I do anticipate it's getting lengthy. I also am beginning to take pics which I would like to post through this process as well. Have also began the first videos using a couple GoPro 3's.

I have successfully repositioned the canopy by removing the rear bolts and pivoting the canopy forward on it's front mounts onto a block of wood placed on the hard nose. That has essentially moved it completely out of the way and allowed to remove it's rear support structure which was attached to the back side of the final drives.

As one digs into projects on old equipment such as this, slow but sure, revelations are exposed regarding short comings and things that were not initially noticeable. Example: All the bolts holding the support brackets on are of different lengths. Don't believe they started out that way. Also have found under carriage bolts that are not fully seated... in fact... some are more than 1/2" from being fully seated. Very concerning. Figure I will be replacing many bolts with the proper ones in this endeavour. Will post some pics once I get a response from Lavoy on this thread.

I'm concerned that I may have to disassemble more than originally anticipated just to get to the steering clutches. This is the b version of the 350b which is the loader version with reverser. I have discovered that the rear undercarriage support is also bolted to the final drives. These bolts are underneath and inside. It looks a bit daunting in that I will have to crawl under the crawler to get to them. Won't be much room for breaking them loose, particularly knowing I will want to have everything well blocked up to insure I don't become a permanent fixture to the undercarriage. Thoughts?
Leverage, it's what's for dinner! :idea:

60 Cat D6B dozer
?? JD 350b crawler/loader
02 JD 260 Skid Steer
68 Case 580CK diesel w/backhoe
67 Case 580CK Gas w/backhoe
81 JLG S35 scissor lift
Clark C500-70, C500-30, GCX40 forklifts
81 Intl 1854 dump

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:48 pm

If you look through JWB contacting posts in either late model JD or Show and Tell it shows a portable pin press they made out of odds and ends that is capable of doing complete pin and bushing replacement as well as master pins. If your going old school get a big hammer 20 pound or more and a T handle drift.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:41 am

I used an OTC ball joint press fits over rails with a little heat

JIM

hdokes
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by hdokes » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:09 am

Thank you NWJD for the JWB reference. I did find the post however I have found that I have been having issues seeing most of the pics posted through this forum. All pics are substituted with an oversized icon that reads "Please update your account to allow 3rd party hosting". I have to include here that my primary occupation that supports my oversized tonka toy habbit is I own both an IT company and an ISP (Internet Service Provider). I attributed the pic substitution to the poster using a 3rd party pic server to make their pics available and not configuring the phpBB properly to retrieve those pics. Assuming this isn't happening to everyone else, Lavoy, is this something that I need to set through my profile on here to be able to see these pics?

jsal.... is there a particular model of the OTC ball joint press you were using?

Ok... further research has revealed I am correct. In the case of the pics for JWB they are indeed hosted on a separate pic server service, in this case photobucket.com. Here is a URL link to one of JWB's pics: http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx13 ... b34979.jpg. Pasting that to the address bar of the browser and attempting to go there reveals the same oversized icon that I am seeing within this forum when I should actually see the pic itself so the issue is definitely with the pic hosting outfit. Is everyone using photobucket.com to post pics with? As I see so many of these pics within this forum that are affected by this I have to wonder if photobucket.com has got major issues or if they have purged a large number of pics from their system. In either case.... it renders the pics inaccessible through this forum which is very unfortunate.

I will try to reach out to JWB and see if I can get a copy of the pin press pics.

...... meanwhile.... back at the ranch.....

Ok again! I have reached out to JWB and hopefully he can get the pics passed on to me. Lavoy, if you're watching :wink:, I have confirmed that the pics that are inaccessible on the forum here are those hosted through photobucket.com. Again, it appears they have either purged a lot of pics, either deliberately or by accident, or changed something on their site that otherwise renders the original pics inaccessible. There is little you can do about this at this point but you may want to make other members aware that photobucket.com is having issues and it is probably not a good idea to host pics that are to be referenced from this forum on that site.

60 Cat D6B dozer
02 JD 260 Skid Steer
81 JLG S35 scissor lift
81 Intl 1854 dump

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:04 pm

The kit number is 7249 you may be able to buy just the c frame screw
JIM

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi,

The pic issue is that Photobucket suddenly decided they wanted us to pay and most of us won't.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

hdokes
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by hdokes » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Not to deviate to far from the topic here but perhaps I can assist in the pic hosting department. As I stated earlier, I own an ISP. We host 100's of web sites, provide email services, essentially all the things that are associated with Internet connectivity and services. It is conceivable that we could host a pic server for JDcrawlers. This would have to be something that Lavoy would be on board with and I'd like to know how much interest there would be in it. Once set up I'd like to see as much of the pics otherwise not making it here through Photobucket end up on the server so they would be accessible to all interested again.

Feel free to message me with any comments, questions, or concerns. Your thoughts Lavoy?

60 Cat D6B dozer
02 JD 260 Skid Steer
81 JLG S35 scissor lift
81 Intl 1854 dump

hdokes
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by hdokes » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Jim,

This seems like quite an inexpensive way to go for track pin removal. It will stand up to the stress and pressures required to punch that pin out? Threads won't strip? I'll have one here this week if that's the case. Can you provide some dimensions on it? I'm concerned that the throat may not be deep enough to clear the link when getting to the pin.

60 Cat D6B dozer
02 JD 260 Skid Steer
81 JLG S35 scissor lift
81 Intl 1854 dump

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:37 pm

I was able to use on my 350 after installing new chains and pads they are very heavy duty I don't recommend impact 3/4 drive breaker and at lest 6 ft pipe put tension then hit with large hammer leave socket on to protect hex on screw a bit of heat helps also.

JIM

hdokes
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by hdokes » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm

Had someone suggest to me the obvious..... "Why don't you adjust your tension arm back and push the idler back with enough slack to roll the track off of it?"

I thought...... "Shut uuuup!" Certainly sounded plausible to me so I removed the screw and used a 10 ton hydraulic ram to push the idler back a few inches.... I got 1/2" out of it. It won't push back any further. Nice clean grease did come from the cylinder hole but it won't budge back any further. Probably a good thing I ordered that ball joint remover. Suppose to be in Friday. Hope it works.

60 Cat D6B dozer
02 JD 260 Skid Steer
81 JLG S35 scissor lift
81 Intl 1854 dump

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:06 pm

Pin press is still in action and used it this weekend. Often non master pins come out easier than the hammered up and swelled up master pins. Most come out with under 1,000 lbs of pressure. I pump and tap the top of the links with a sledge.

Best way to get the idler to come back is loosen the relief on the track adjuster, insert a 6" or larger pipe on the sprocket and backup.

We unpinned a 450 this weekend to fix crossmember issues.

Final drive removal tool is also a must build.

My dad is basically rebuilding crawlers full time now, but getting close to running out of project machines.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:29 am

I use a block of wood to release the track adjuster and was able to take tracks off with out removing pin but they were very wore out had to replace so now need to break tracks by removing pin

JIM

hdokes
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by hdokes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:47 pm

It's woohoo time! The bigass ball joint remover came in. Wasn't suppose to be here till Friday. Gonna give it a go!

JWB, I'm working on a pic server that will be dedicated to JDcrawlers for posting pics. Once I get that done can you repost the pics of that pin press you are talking about? I'm interested in seeing if I could fabricate something like it in house.

On the idler, I pulled the relief plug completely and was able to get about 1/2" movement on the wheel however I will go back and give another attempt as well with the block of wood or a pipe. I assume you are not talking about a 6" diameter pipe but rather 6" long JWB?
Last edited by hdokes on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

60 Cat D6B dozer
02 JD 260 Skid Steer
81 JLG S35 scissor lift
81 Intl 1854 dump

hdokes
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by hdokes » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 am

Hot Damn! ..... I don't even know what that means. IT WORKED!!! Jim! That $100 over sized ball joint remover on steroids rendered the $8000 hydraulic pin puncher impotent! Just like you said... put that bugger up on the pin... a bit of heat... and my 1" impact wrench... and out it came. I now have the track, sprocket, and that big weighty thing attached to the sprocket off the crawler on one side. Figured I'd go completely through the one side so I'm well versed, or as much as I can be,on how to do it easier on the other side.

The thought doesn't escape me however on how I am going to 'push' that pin back in when it comes time to reassemble. The ball joint remover on steroids will not span across the link AND the pin so using it will be moot. Any thoughts before I get to that point? Thinkin I'm gonna have to do a lot of talkin to get my boy to hold that pin whilst I swing the 12lb sledge hammer but I figure that's how I transfer the dirty words to him and I don't have to say em. :lol:

JWB, I am still certainly interested in seeing the hydraulic pin punch you guys assembled and still may make one.... I'm certain I may have other uses for that too. I'm thinking it may work for reassembly of the pin and link as well.

Now.... comes the final drive. Looks like it is going to be heavy as hell. I have some thoughts about how to cleanly take it off but do want to make certain I know what needs to be disconnected, and how, before I start pulling it away from the frame. Will continue to look through these threads to get those pointers and looking through the service and parts manual. I'm pretty tickled that I've gotten it to this point thus far. It's like when all is said and done here I'll be able to check another thing off the bucket list. In my best Barney Fife imitation..... "Yeah.... I changed out the steering clutches on my crawler!"

I will say that I have been taking pictures and video of the entire process. I should have the new pic server I have mentioned here in place and will use it to test/post the initial pics to it. As for the video.... I used go pro cameras to record and have to go through the learning curve of pulling them off, editing, massaging, segmenting, rechecking "directors cuts", and putting it back together into something meaningful and hopefully somewhat educational and entertaining. There is a machinist on YouTube that goes by "This 'ol Tony'. The guy is an excellent machinist (hobby), educator, and he is amazing at how well he puts together his videos. If you haven't seen him yet you owe yourself a treat to go check him out and watch a few of his videos. I swear you'll become addicted to them... state law!!! There are lots of great machinists on YouTube but he is hands down the best video producer. Would take me years to master what he has but I hope I can do them at least half as good.

Edited:

So here is the first use of the new pic server I have set up to be used for jdcrawlers.com. I still have to get the particulars okay'd through lavoy but I think it's ready to go.

Last edited by hdokes on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 am, edited 13 times in total.

60 Cat D6B dozer
02 JD 260 Skid Steer
81 JLG S35 scissor lift
81 Intl 1854 dump

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:25 am

you can use the clamp to re install also !!!!

jim