Another 450 HLR clutch adjustment question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jim S.
420 crawler
420 crawler

Another 450 HLR clutch adjustment question

Post by Jim S. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:04 am

I have finally got a project straight 450 crawler loader running. But I cannot get the engine clutch adjusted according to instructions in the manual.

I have both the operators manual and the service manual. The procedure for clutch adjustment is the same in both. My main problem appears to be that the throw out bearing does not contact the pressure plate release fingers, even when I remove all the pedal free play. If I adjust to the desired pedal free play (3 3/4") the H-L-R clutch disengages but not the main flywheel clutch.

I can just barely view one of the clutch pressure plate release fingers through the bell housing access hole and the throw out bearing carrier is moving as expected but not far enough to contact the finger. I cannot figure out how this would be possible unless a part of the throw out bearing is missing or the flywheel is thinner than it should be.

Background. I purchased this machine as a project, having been told the engine was a replacement. Its a 4239 engine which I rebuilt. It fits fine and runs well. I adjusted the clutch release fingers before installation according to spec. I checked the throwout bearing while the engine was out. It spins nicely and looked to me like it should. Pic shows the bearing while the engine was out.

Could there be a part missing on the contact face of the bearing? Or could the flywheel on the 4239 engine be different than the original, causing the pressure plate fingers to be in a different plane than designed? Or some other cause that I have not thought of?

I really dont want to remove the engine to check this out but will do it if it is the only solution. Any ideas?
Jim

1983m35a2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by 1983m35a2 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:23 pm

I am going through the same issue
now also I am rechecking the clutch
finger height again today
Jim

1983m35a2
MC crawler
MC crawler