550 Transmission

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Grease Gun
40C crawler
40C crawler

550 Transmission

Post by Grease Gun » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:16 pm

My 550 has been doing the same thing many people in this forum describe. It would run fine until it got warm, and then stop pulling. I would let it idle for a minute, and then it would run fine again. I thought (and hoped) it might be a flow problem.

I drained the fluid and pulled the suction screen. Cleaned the screen, which was clogged, and put it back in. Installed a new filter and filled with new fluid. When I started running the machine, it got warm, and did the same thing. Let it sit for a minute, then it went back to pulling fine. It has not done it since. It goes through all gears much better, as well.

Im hoping that was it, and that it just needed to run that new fluid through the system for a while to free everything up. And, maybe I just got lucky.

But it seems that if the clutches were worn, it wouldnt pull, regardless of whether it was warm or cold. Just my opinion.

Nonetheless, next chance I get, Im going to pull the control valve and selector valve and rebuild them.

Anyway, maybe this will give some hope to a few of you who are contemplating digging into those clutch packs.....

ortimber
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 550 Transmission

Post by ortimber » Sat May 27, 2017 7:35 am

I hope you figure out what is going on. If you do please share with us.
I really wanted at late model 550A or B and found several nice machines, but I've just read of too many problems with the transmissions.
1998 650G