Changing 350 transmission oil, found teeth and a shim?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Flatlander
420 crawler
420 crawler

Changing 350 transmission oil, found teeth and a shim?

Post by Flatlander » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:41 pm

Started my 350 basket case for the first time last week, no rad so only a short run. The cooler lines for the reverser were just looped back by previous owner, and when i started it, the loop blew off, and shot out the oil. So, while most of the oil was out anyway, i thought I would change the oil and filter. While removing the filter, found these pieces in the sump. I was deciding which machine would be the donor, and which would be the recipient, this might be the info that tells the tale. The gear teeth are bad enough, but any idea what the copper washer/shim is? Will the fact that it is missing be fatal to the transmission? I would imagine that if they took the transmission / reverser apart to replace the gear they would have fished out the teeth, and replaced the oil and filter. So, I assume the teeth are still missing. Time will tell I suppose, as the rad is now installed, waiting on lower hose from JD. Then i can see if it drives, and steers.

Where can I open a cover to see where the teeth are from?

The copper washer/shim is about 2 1/2 inch OD, and 1 1/4 ID, it looks like it might have had locking points on the ID, there is a notch at one spot and there might have been four of them, hard to tell because of the break, and a crack.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... sf26qg.jpg
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... orutye.jpg

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:40 am

If you pulled a filter out, then what you are draining is the reverser, the transmission is behind that. The washer you found is a thrust washer, it is located behind a gear on the rear clutch that meshes with the countershaft. Search your parts book for a T14465 and you can see the location. Teeth are from that gear or the countershaft, reverse operation would be questionable at best. The filter you removed or the dipstick are the only 2 views into the reverser without removal/disassembly :( Seems like you have found the donor machine at least :D

Flatlander
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flatlander » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:54 am

Thanks for your knowledge, I figured it was bad, holding the gear teeth was one of those oh S@&# moments. I was kind of hoping that I would have two running units (not that i need two). Well, with a bit of sweat I should be able to build one really good one out of the two, and have a shed full of parts. Just to add fluids, and see if it moves and steers, I will probably do that this weekend, before I start to pull the finals off for the swap, and will keep you informed...

Thanks again,
Doug

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Reverser Rebuild

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Rebuilding the reverser is fairly easy, getting it out of the tractor and on the bench is the tough part.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Flatlander
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flatlander » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:10 am

This morning, i filled the reverser oil, and anti freeze. She fired right up with the rebuilt injector pump. Purrs like a kitten. I was a little timid as the throttle linkage is a bit wonky, and I had a heavy wire with a hand loop (no key shut off). It is in a corner of the shop just ahead of 16 feet of tool shelves, forward all clear, but backwards not so much. After a couple of idling shut offs, ready for the real test. When i put her in gear and slid the reverser there was a bang, and it jumped out of gear, 2nd, 3rd, reverse, forward or reverse on the reverser, all the same reaction, bang, jump out of gear and stall. No need to worry about the shelves, it never moved more than a couple of inches. For sure know this is the donor machine, even if i was up for a reverser rebuild, I doubt i could find the parts.
Real nice running engine, decent undercarriage, the finals will go to my 350B next winter. While I have the tracks split for the finals, might just dismantle it and store the parts.

Doug

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:38 pm

I am wondering if the issue is in the transmission ? Or another issue other than reverser. Jumping out of gear has everything to do with the tranny. This does not explain the teeth in the reverser case or the shim.
Did the reverser lever travel front and back when the tranny was in neutral clutch pedal out?

Also, I was also wondering if the steering brakes might be seized however, you have been moving this crawler around and I will assume that the tracks move.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Flatlander
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flatlander » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes, it rolls quite nicely when being pushed or pulled. I assume either the transmission, or the reverser are about the same amount of work to remove. The thrust washer was torn in half, so something must have jammed, shearing off the teeth, and the thrust washer, maybe a bad bearing, dropping a shaft?
Not really planning on doing anything to either, now that we are into busy season, so maybe by next winter i will find a good transmission/reverser and make the switch.
Still have my ad running, i see you have one too Scott. I got a call from a guy has a barely used (but 50 year old) 6700 backhoe (alas no mounting bracket), wants a lot, but if you are interested, I can get you the number, and you can arm wrestle him down.

Flatlander
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flatlander » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Reverser cable was stuck, but i used the air pressure and oil trick I read here, and it freed up overnight. And yes, it moved freely forward ,and back, no binding.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:34 pm

I have a hoe however it is a case and fits nicely onto the 350b using a custom made bracket. The downside is that I also have a ripper on a 350c that mounts on a hoe bracket and it sure would be nice if they both could be used on the same crawler. The brackets are not compatible. I am not needing 350 driveline parts so if someone calls I will send you the info.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments