Low Voltage to the Starter

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Low Voltage to the Starter

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed May 31, 2017 2:25 pm

I took my starter in for rebuilding, the second time in a year. The shop was quick with an answer, it has low voltage going to the starter. Thankfully they are a great parts shop because since they rebuilt the starter last year, there was no charge. No charge for labor, no charge for parts...and last year they rebuilt it for $93 so I was not overcharged!

At first glance it would seem like a simple answer: bad batteries, but that is not quite so. I have 2 new batteries and brand new ground straps going to ground down steel on the metal of the tractor with dielectric grease.

The only two culprits I can think of would be the disconnect switch, but that works as far as cutting off current. I thought when they fail it is all or nothing, not reduced voltage?

I know that it is working as far as stopping current flow because a freaky thing happens now and then. The key switch will not shut off the starter; I have to kill the starter with the disconnect switch. When I snap it back on, it is fine again, and works as it is supposed to for awhile, then might act up again. It is not every time, and the starter is not stuck on.

The other thing that is strange is, when starting, the starter might drop out, but while it is trying to start the engine. Would the newly rebuilt solenoid have fixed this (you could see arcing from low voltage) or is it a malfunctioning key switch?

I see 3 potential issues so help me with which one it might be:

1) A faulty disconnect switch
2) A grounded out positive cable going to the starter
3) A faulty key switch

The only other thing the parts guy said it might be is a ground strap on the tractor away from the battery box. Is there one?
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Low Voltage to the Starter

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed May 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi,

Disconnect switches can easily become high resistance internally. They do not necessarily fail completely open. First thing I would do is change that out. You still need it due to the other issue....

You also could have high resistance between the sections of the machine and the starter. Old steel surfaces are not a good conductor. Try running a cable from the negative battery post to the starter flange and see if that helps.

The starter staying engaged would either be in the starter switch or the solenoid itself. To check, you need a voltmeter hooked to the solenoid. If it shows voltage present when it hangs up, it is the switch. No voltage when stuck tells you it is the solenoid.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)