450B steering clutch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Bherd
MC crawler
MC crawler

450B steering clutch

Post by Bherd » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:41 am

Hello,
I went and looked at a early 70's model John Deere 450B track loader. It's in fair shape. Missing​ belly pan and grill but other than that it's not bad. I operated it the other day and in forward it does fine. Steers right and left great. In reverse it steers great left but when you pull the right steering clutch you have to pull it back hard and then it bogs the engine like it's not letting the clutch engage only the brake. I've googled it saw a test to preform. Before I waste anymore of the owners time what does this sound like it would be. He is asking $6,000 for the machine. This will be the first track machine I will own if I purchase it. The undercarriage looks good. The right clutch only in reverse is what worries me. I don't want to buy it and then have to sink another 5-6k in it as soon as I buy it. The only other thing wrong with it is on the loader. The main arm bolted to the center of the machine​, the pin that goes in it for the lift arm is backing out. When it's cold it has to turn over more than a few times to crank. Any response will be appreciated and will determine if I purchase the machine.
Thanks
Ben