new member intro, 450C in northern MS

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

new member intro, 450C in northern MS

Post by Michael 450C » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm

I have been reading some over the past week or so, and have enjoyed learning about these machines. I hope this is a reasonable place to post an introduction; I didn't find guidelines on it.

Michael Mann, retired Navy, no experience with any sort of tracked equipment.

I've just bought a 1980 450C crawler dozer. It is not pretty, but seems to be in good shape. It was a forestry dozer, and has the roll cage and winch. Winch may or may not work. Blade is six way hydraulic. There seems to be too much play in the blade control lever, but it works and could be normal. Hour meter shows just under 3000. Starts well and runs good oil pressure and water temp. Other gauges broken.

I found info here the led me to the John Deere site and I bought an owner's manual to study. Still not sure what all the levers are. I don't seem to have a PTO control lever on the deck near the breather. I'm hesitant to try the winch until I know the controls better. I'll have lots of questions in coming weeks.

Thanks for making this resource available.

Michael

TimT
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: new member intro, 450C in northern MS

Post by TimT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53 am

I love mine, getting a chance to clear some areas behind my pond now. Th owners manual will give you the basics on them. Operating tips, basic service. I do not have a winch on mine. They may have had more than one set up for winches. Maybe some direct drive winches or hydraulic winch. Either way you should have a winch control lever on it. If its direct drive, be careful. Those will pull until something moves or breaks!. Check close for broken or cracked parts around pivot shaft and equalizer bar, dozer frame etc. Some of the earlier 450's B'? had issues with the bolts breaking between main frame and bell housing. I think they upgraded them with the later models.
I put in all new bottom rollers and just had it short tracked to extend some rail/chain wear. My blade control is a bit sloppy, but its ok once you get used to it. The only thing I find is once in a great while the angle function pin will catch on the linkage and I have to slide my knife in and slip it back. But its only happened twice. Nothing to worry about.. If I used it more I would buy new linkage for the control. Mine is a '79 never painted, but seems to have been treated very well by the two previous owners. The 450C's are regarded as one of the best of the JD crawlers built. Very rugged machines. I have a technical service manuel I bought on Ebay... An original JD one for all the 450C's, loaders, backhoe, and both types of dozer frames, blades and winches. I paid 70.00 for it, which was cheap. They go over 100 bucks. If you need help just ask, these guys here know these machines. TT

Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Michael 450C » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Tim,

Your dozer looks like mine; it also wears the original paint, rust, and battle scars. Mine has two additional bars on the roll cage, and the exhaust pipe runs along the left one. Will have to watch as I get out of it after working or I'll grab it.

I bought mine mainly to clear and level a space for a big used chicken house I bought to serve as a pole barn. I think with patience I can take down any of the trees in that space. But the list of work is getting longer, including a pond maybe. Dirt here is clay so it should hold water if I get the rest right.

My list of questions is growing also. I figure I'll try to change filters and fluids before doing much. I haven't found much yet on likes or dislikes when searching.

Thanks for the welcome. This looks like a good group of folks.

Michael

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:59 pm

The additional pipes you are referring to are commonly called limb risers or sweeps. These are really nice when working in trees and shrubs. They lift or sweep the limb right up over the ROPS.
The 450C series is one of my favorite. Very versatile, good power to weight, good breakout force. Can be hauled relatively easy. Reliable, fairly popular- lots were made. Lots of parts are available, either at the parts yards or the after market stores. The wet clutches/brake are a definite improvement over the B series.
I just rebuilt my 3325 winch this last winter and could help answer some questions.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 pm

The additional pipes you are referring to are commonly called limb risers or sweeps. These are really nice when working in trees and shrubs. They lift or sweep the limb right up over the ROPS.
The 450C series is one of my favorite. Very versatile, good power to weight, good breakout force. Can be hauled relatively easy. Reliable, fairly popular- lots were made. Lots of parts are available, either at the parts yards or the after market stores. The wet clutches/brake are a definite improvement over the B series.
I just rebuilt my 3315 winch this last winter and could help answer some questions.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Sorry for double post.

Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Michael 450C » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:34 am

B Town,

I am glad to be seeing that these are well liked machines. Maybe I made a good decision. When I figure out how to attach photos, I'll post a pic of mine, and of the levers and winch. Don't know if I'm missing the PTO lever or if mine is changed from the owners manual illustration. The manual does not seem to be year specific.

Thanks for the info and offer to help with the winch questions. I'll have many questions once I figure out what to ask.

Michael

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 am

I think it is very rare to have a PTO lever to engage and disengage, when the crawler is winch equipped. The power winches have their own seperate hydrualics and usually run continuous, ar the same RPM as the engine. If factory installed the winch control lever will be along the right side of the bottom seat cushion, bxt the cushion and the right box. There will be three possible positions with this control. Hold-lever in central position. Winch in- cable will be under power, spool will roll the cable in. Winch out- this is not under power but will free spool, allowing the logger to pull the cable out to hook the next turn. While you are at changing fluids, change the winch's fluid, also. Clean out the pickup screen and use a new spin-on filter.

Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Michael 450C » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:22 am

B Town,

Thank you. The owner's manual is a little too generic and I figured the dozer was strong enough to break something if I really tried. Which lever controlled the winch was unclear from the illustrations, but your description is clear. I'll change the fluid and filter and clean the pickup screen, once the monsoon season is past.

Michael

StxRancher
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by StxRancher » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 am

Welcome!! I have an '81 450C that I purchased last year. I just got around to changing all the fluids. Make sure when you change the transmission fluid that you remove and clean the screen filter on the right lower side of tranny. Its held in there by 3 bolts. Also make sure you get the o-rings before you start the job.Also the trans filter is up in front of the radiator. It is the same size as the engine oil filter.

Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Michael 450C » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

StxRancher,

Thanks for the welcome! I am dealing with engine oil and filter, air filters, and fuel filter first. Looks like that is just a start. I will take your advice as I work my way through the rest. I probably need to replace some hydraulic hoses soon also. It seems like these machines are built to maintain; I guess that's why they last for decades.

Have you been happy with your dozer? Any other tips will be welcome.

Michael

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:21 am

While you are at it, change the hydrualic filter in front of the radiator, clean the reusable screen in the transmission(underneath right side of trans), and finally the hydrualic filter in the hydrualic reservoir (right box). Bruce

Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Michael 450C » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Bruce,

Will do. Any recommendations, for or against, regarding hydraulic fluid? Will I need to replace or just add as needed?

Thanks,

Michael

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:28 pm

If the age/condition of the fluid is unknown, i would replace the fluid. At least then i know where I am starting. Also, who wants to buy/install new filters, just to run the risk of fouling the with old/cappy oil.

Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Michael 450C » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 pm

I guess now is the time to adjust to buying fluids in five gallon cans rather than quarts.

Thanks,

Michael