350D Reverser Issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

350D Reverser Issue

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:45 am

I am having some issues with my reverser on my 1988 John Deere 350D.

All is fine with the machine until after I run it for an hour or so, then the reverser gets kind of sluggish on shuttling between reversing and going forward. The more you use it, the worse it gets.

I have not changed the reverser filter, but I am not sure that is the problem. It obviously has plenty of oil (just changed) so I know that is not the problem, but it seems to have excessive pressure when you go to check it.

It seems if something actually let go inside, the machine would not move at all, but it moves, both directions, like a new bulldozer when its got cool oil, just until it gets too warm then it goes down hill.

Could adjusting the settings fix it? I am right in the midst of a big job right now and if I can get it going for a month or so, I would be better positioned to tear into it.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350D Reverser Issue

Post by gregjo1948 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:45 am

Might be a failing pump. The hotter the fluid gets, the thinner and the pump can't maintain the pressure needed with the thinner oil.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Do you think it might be slipping clutches that is causing the hotter oil though?

What I mean is, is the clutches slipping and making the oil hot, or is the pump weak and not fully engaging the clutches to make them slip?

One thing that might be an indicator to those who have far more experience in these machines is; the machine will run all day long without an issue as long as it is not backing and going forward all the time. I recently converted a field from corn to grass and with all the rain we have had, the dozer was the only thing that could tread through the muck. Some days it was getting 12-14 hours on it, but no backing and going forward...round and round and back and forth.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:56 am

I tapped into a port that I THINK is the right one on the reverser control valve and got ZERO for pressure readings. That seemed rather odd to me as I should have got something I would have thought. I even put the tractor in second gear, half throttle and moved back and forth. Again nothing.

The port I tapped into is right above the line going to the oil cooler at the bottom of the radiator, so it makes sense that it would be the right one; in fact the only one I can see. My manual does not show any test ports though.

This may be a very dumb question, but do these reverser pumps disintegrate so bad that they produce no pressure whatsoever?

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:55 am

I would have to check my manual, you should do so as well. You either have a bad reverser or a pressure leak on one of the steering clutches.

Your machine would not move unless the reverser pump was working as it activates each sides wet steering clutch. When you pull the steering handles it stops the flow of oil to one side.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:18 am

If your pump has gone south, the machine won't move either direction. To check pressure, there are three places. On the bottom of reverser housing left side there are three pressure regulating valves. They have hex heads and are in a straight row. From front to rear, there will be 2 next to each other then a pipe plug followed by the 3th regulating valve. The pipe plug can be removed to access a flathead screw that is turned in or out to adjust direction engagement. If the direction change is too weak/soft or jerks/slams into motion, adjust that screw.. Be careful when removing the pressure valves not to loose pieces.(springs, balls and I think adjustment shims) Use a pressure gauge capable of at least 160 psi. The front valve should have 87-103 psi @ 1745 rpm. The second valve should have 110-130 psi @ 2650rpm. Jump over the next in line.(pipe plug for adjustment screw) The third valve should have 20-30 psi @ 2650 rpm. Sounds confusing but, maybe when you go under and look, it will be easier to understand. These instructions are for a 350B and may be different for other models. I would strongly suggest that you use a manual for adjustments.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford