JD450 tacho's

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 tacho's

Post by Mariner » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi,

I am in the middle of doing the engine from my 1968 450 engine. The machine never did have a tacho, but I would be interested in instlling one if not too expensive. The crankshaft has a nipple at the back end of it, where I assume a tacho would be connected. Does anyone have a source for one that might fit? If not at the back of th camshft, then one that might work off of the putput shaft?

I have just found out that my JD450 has, at some point in the past, been re-engined with 4-219 engine (probably out of a skid steer). This would account for a lot of problems I have been having, getting the right parts from the JD dealer (I had to clue them into the Reliance website and their manual specs. regarding engine mdoifications to John Deere engines). Just thought someone might be interested.

Thanks for any information you can send in this direction.

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:04 pm

That happens ocasionaly that the engine gets changed in these Deeres My first 550 had a tach but the second one didnt so I took a Caterpillar electric tac kit and it fit right inThe big part of the job was driling the hole in the dash AndI think I had to find the number of teeth on the flywheel Then notch one tooth so deep at 45 degrees on engine side. Its not a cheap kit [No Cat part is]And I instaled it 15 years ago Buy it worked great and looked good to Some of those tacs worked off the alternator If your alternator has a extra diode in it than get a tac out of a backhoe or dozer It is a lot of work but the 450s should have all came with one But I know that lots didnt I might be able to find one .Digitup.