72 450b clutch is good brake band worn

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cmeens
MC crawler
MC crawler

72 450b clutch is good brake band worn

Post by cmeens » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:33 am

Good day. I have a 1972? 450B. The steering clutches engage and disengage without any problem. I believe I have fully adjusted the brake band on the right side as far as I can so I am guessing that I am down to the end of the pads (probably because someone kept forgetting the parking break was on). My question is can I just replace the bands WITHOUT having to remove the steering clutch? I have not removed the tank, etc. in order to access the band themselves because the tractor is still useable. I can steer just fine when the front end is aimed up hill because, again, the clutches are working perfectly. The left side brake works fine so I can always steer using the left control. I want to do my repair over the winter, but would really like to know if I can do the repair without removing the clutch, breaking track, etc. Thank you!!

cmeens
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 72 450b clutch is good brake band worn

Post by cmeens » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 am

Also, I am wondering if the brake pedal only operates the right side brake. It seems odd that the pedal goes to the floor but my left side brake seems to work when I pull the control handle

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 am

Brake pedal should operate both brakes, if not, something is wrong.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

crawler123
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by crawler123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:32 am

You are going to have to get the tank/seat assy off and take off the clutch housing covers. It is a real pain but I have removed a brake band that way. Too bad all my pictures are gone from the photobucket fiasco !!

hdokes
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by hdokes » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Hello cmeens,

Have you tackled that right brake yet? You could conceivably pull it out through the access under the battery box however it will be a pain.... it will be an even bigger pain to put one back in and get it snaked around the drum. One way though that I can think of doing it that may be a better way than pulling the final drive off just to get to the brake assembly to pull the old band out, attach a nylon rope to it so as you pull it out it pulls the rope through the same path and you now have it in place of the band. It is possible that you could attach one end to the new band and pull on the other end to work as a guide as the band comes back through.

I think you said you weren't looking to do it till winter but I do look forward to hearing your results.

Crawler23, do you still have the pics or was the only copy on photobucket? I am setting up a dedicated pic server for jdcrawlers and you will be able to repost them if you have them. Might even make sense to pay for a month of photobucket just to get access to them and pull them back down.
Leverage, it's what's for dinner! :idea:

60 Cat D6B dozer
?? JD 350b crawler/loader
02 JD 260 Skid Steer
68 Case 580CK diesel w/backhoe
67 Case 580CK Gas w/backhoe
81 JLG S35 scissor lift
Clark C500-70, C500-30, GCX40 forklifts
81 Intl 1854 dump

cmeens
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by cmeens » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Thank you all for the information. I will take a better look at the linkage from the brake pedal. It seems to have some pressure at start-up, but once I am up and running the brake pedal goes straight to the floor. I did have partial brake power for a short period of time, but it seems like it was only on the right side. With that being said, I am confident that the left brake does engage when the hand lever is engaged. I am still also confident that the clutches on both sides are functioning as they should. If I am aimed up hill I have full steering control.