450C dozer track group

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

450C dozer track group

Post by amos » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:55 am

I have been working on a 450C dozer I literally had to drag out of the woods in southern Louisiana and getting toward the end of repairs(way too many to list). On the track group: chains at +90% idlers same,rollers almost new,sprockets at +80%,bushings +90% with hardly any wear visible and not turned,track shoes are shot. Track tensioners are both shot and of course the master pins on the chains have a bead of weld on them (outboard area only). I really don't want to do a gouge cut to get the pins out and split the tracks and I'm thing that if I removes the track shoes in the area of the front idlers (about 12 on each side) then release all of the tensioner pressure,move the idler back as far as possible,that I may be able to get the chains off in the idler area and then slide the idlers forward and off the track rails to get the tensioners out and off. Anyone else done this or is there an easier way?
I know things are expensive but someone spent alot of money on the track group but apparently did a halfway re-build? Scratching my head as to why.
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 450C dozer track group

Post by mini kahuna » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:01 pm

should be able to get your tensioners out by releasing the grease check ball and collapsing the tensioner in as far as it will go, then use a come along or similar to pull the idler assembly forward as far as it will go, then remover the bolts on the front yoke of the tensioner and pull it out.
shouldn't need to split tracks.
if the assembly isn't all pitted inside you can rebuilt them most times.
1010 loader

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 am

Hi Mimi,
Worth a try and thank you. Actually got the unit started yesterday(been "in process" for 14 months) and found the water pump is leaking.Today is the day to get it moving and then do some cleaning on it before pulling water pump for re-build. Also need bracket and clamp for throttle push-pull cable that is mounted on the manifold. It's the little stuff that adds up and is most frustrating.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:24 pm

It does not work on my 350D bulldozer, but I have new tracks (chains, pads, everything), so what I do instead is pull the covers over the track springs, then take a 4-1/2 inch grinder with a thin cut-off wheel and cut the shaft going back to the spring in an easy to get at spot. A pipe wrench will allow you to turn the shaft so that it can be cut clear through. Then I can remove the track tensioners completely and slide my idlers really far back.

To put it back, just redo the procedure, but be careful on lining up the shaft where it was cut, the reweld.

It may not be a repair for everyone, but it sure beats pounding out master track pins. In that regard though, Lavoy had a master track pin trick with a cutting torch that worked well. I lack even a cutting torch so I use my cut-off wheel and save myself a lot of pounding.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 am

Hi CuttingEdge,
Looks like that was done in the past and best guess is that when they installed new seal kit and rewelded shaft the heat from the weld ruined the seal kit. The cut/weld evidence is on the shaft about 6" back from the yoke assembly.
Side note: pulled the water pump yesterday to install new rebuild kit on it and pulley will NOT come off the dang bearing shaft. Broke 2 grade 8 bolts on puller,heated pulley hub to dull red and broke 2 more pulley bolts, then burned my hand.Grrrrrr. Ordered new water pump with pulley.
Old equipment Gods must have their blood,sweat,and tears sacrifice...
Good news: before pulling water pump I did start the unit(too many repairs to list to get to this point) and IT MOVED forward and backwards and steered to boot.Woo-Hoo!
Amos