450b fan

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: 450b fan

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 am

On my farm anyway, the biggest rocks moved are always found in the rock walls at the bottom of the hills (I live on a huge hill) because the Oxen could only pull the rocks downhill and not up. And some of them rocks are ginormous!

I have run across a rock that was interesting though, you could just feel it when you chopped the field, having to pick up the chopper head (combine type thing) as you went over the spot. So I was determined to get the rock out. My Uncle said he would bring over his 2 yard loader to move it, but I saw the rocks on the rock wall, and if they had moved those, they sure the heck were not moving this rock with a 2 yard loader if it had been left behind.

In the end it took an excavator and bulldozer working in tandem to get the rock out of the hole. The interesting thing was, under it was the most beautiful loam you ever saw. Well loam is pretty deep here, but not 6 feet deep, so I knew what happened. Unable to move it, my ancestors had dug a hole and rolled the rock into it, probably below plow depth at the time. Frost had pushed it back up over the last 200 years. Anyway I got it out, it might have taken us 200 years, by we got that rock out.

In the end it was as big as the John Deere's 850's dozer blade: 5 feet high, 10 feet long and probably 6 feet through. No wonder they could not move it with stone boat and oxen.

Over the years I have a deep appreciation for rock walls. As we have grown from 50 HP tractors to farming with 400 Hp tractors, we just cannot have such small fields any more and have to remove them. That unto itself is a job!

I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!