450b fan

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JDJIM202
40C crawler
40C crawler

450b fan

Post by JDJIM202 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm

The fan on my 450b pulls air in, is it reverseable so it will blow the air out?

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 450b fan

Post by amos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:22 am

Yes it is reversible.Simple trick: it's a tight fit between your hand and tool( 3/8 ratchet and should be 1/2"hex head head bolts on fan to pulley hub and there are 4 bolts) and the inner radiator face. Cut a piece of cardboard that you the place against the inner radiator face so you won't scrape all of the skin off of your knuckles against the radiator and possible damage the radiator with the ratchet or fan when it pops loose.Good time to inspect/replace belt too.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:04 am

Only if it is a Huber fan or some other reversible fan. Turning a normal fan around does not change air flow.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

JDJIM202
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JDJIM202 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Far as I know it's a stock 6 blade fan, how can I tell if it's a huber fan without actually taking it off?

JDJIM202
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JDJIM202 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 pm

amos wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:22 am
Yes it is reversible.Simple trick: it's a tight fit between your hand and tool( 3/8 ratchet and should be 1/2"hex head head bolts on fan to pulley hub and there are 4 bolts) and the inner radiator face. Cut a piece of cardboard that you the place against the inner radiator face so you won't scrape all of the skin off of your knuckles against the radiator and possible damage the radiator with the ratchet or fan when it pops loose.Good time to inspect/replace belt too.
Amos
Ok, thank you.

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:01 am

I trashed my fan when the water pump went out, it was a pusher. I bought an after market fan from Summit racing. It has worked fine for me.
450C Track Loader
291457T

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:14 am

You can see the springs at the end of each blade. Push the blade in towards the hub, and rotate til it locks into the position you want.
Pusher fans were an option from Deere, I actually have an NOS kit for a 440 gas. If you want a regular fan, an aftermarket one or used one should not be hard to find. I think I got an aftermarket for a guy years ago.
Lavoy

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:17 pm

My Kubota tractor is a pulling type fan and I want a pusher so I went and asked the Kubota parts guy if I could get a pusher and he thought I was crazy, saying he never heard of a fan that was reversed?

Where did this guy come from?

When I was a kid all our equipment had two fans: one to draw warm air in and help the cabless operator stay warm, and one to push out in the summer so the operator stayed cooler.

Incidentally I want a pusher fan on my Kubota because the draw-in fan fills the prescreen with hay chaff and duff and causes the tractor to overheat. A pusher fan would blow it away.

The fan on my 350D is a pusher fan. I am up in the air if i want a pusher or draw-in fan because the pusher fan keeps the radiator better cleared of dust and debris, but with my new external reverser cooler on the front, somewhat defeats the purpose as warm air is blowing across the oil cooler. A draw in fan would chill the oil the best.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:43 am

I think depending on the tractor, you may get in more trouble with the pusher fan. Depends on how large the air openings are on the "hood" side of the tractor. If they are larger than the grille screen, all the chaff that used to stick on the screen where it is easier to clean will end up directly in the radiator.
We used to have a pull type combine, and the tractor used on it would have to have the screens brushed off every round, but that was their purpose. We just kept a whisk broom in the cab and brushed both screens every time we dumped the hopper. I have a 4120 Deere, and it gets grass and crud on it just like yours I am guessing. Air gun seems to blow it right off if you are near the shop, otherwise I brush it off with my fingers.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi,

Tractors have those screens made to be swept off by fingers. Then they have seals, or are supposed to anyway, to ensure that the air drawn in all goes thru the screens. This, to keep the fluffy crap and insects out of the radiator. Reverse the airflow, and you screw that all up and will wind up with a clogged radiator.

Even my old 420 has the screen and a puller fan. Good luck with fingers cleaning the screen with the guard out front. I use a toilet bowl brush on a stick. ;)

Just yesterday I was using it in the afternoon, thinking how much better it would be for me if it had reverse airflow, but I am not about to change it.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:43 am
I think depending on the tractor, you may get in more trouble with the pusher fan. Depends on how large the air openings are on the "hood" side of the tractor. If they are larger than the grille screen, all the chaff that used to stick on the screen where it is easier to clean will end up directly in the radiator.
We used to have a pull type combine, and the tractor used on it would have to have the screens brushed off every round, but that was their purpose. We just kept a whisk broom in the cab and brushed both screens every time we dumped the hopper. I have a 4120 Deere, and it gets grass and crud on it just like yours I am guessing. Air gun seems to blow it right off if you are near the shop, otherwise I brush it off with my fingers.
Lavoy
4120; Nice tractor in my opinion. We had one, but was using it to power a metering platform running up a concrete stave silo. At 4 AM the corn settled unevenly and the 65 foot silo and 600 tons of silage fell on top of it...one month after the last payment was made, and thus one month after the insurance was taken off. That was a nice tractor.

Yeah the Kubota does the same thing when bushogging. I typically wait until August because hardwood saplings do not regrow when they are cut in August, BUT it is also when the nasty weeds go to seed and plug up the radiator. It would not be a big deal, but on the Kubota it is very hard to get to and time consuming. Wait...is that a jet engine I hear...nope, just CuttingEdge whining again.

Back when we farmed on the big dairy farm, we had a New Holland chopper (combine looking thing) that had a radiator with a prescreen on it. The electric fan would reverse direction every so many minutes, blow the crap out, then reverse direction after so long of that. I guess it worked. We had another that had an electric motor on it that occasionally swiped the crud off like a big windshield wiper, but was round. I am not sure if this contributed to the problem, but both burned in the field due to debris build up. new Holland choppers were noted for burning.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Oh god, got any pics of the remains? :shock:
I needed this size to get enough lift capacity to about equal my forklift (2000 lbs or so). It's been a really good rig for me, I use it for loader, forks, snow, mowing, blading, etc. The older I get, the more I would like a cab in the winter, but every time I think that it is too cold, I think about doing it by hand, or a walk behind snow blower. Or, the 440 crawler which has no cab, and no snow blower, so really can't complain.
Lavoy

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm

My Grandfather has a real photo (not digital) somewhere. It was an all assault that morning to get the silage picked up and put in a makeshift bunker so that the cows could have feed for the winter.

I hear you on the whining. One day we were mowing hay and the tractor we were using (8830 Ford) had a broken air conditioner. It was blasted hot and my Uncle was complaining. Well we have been on this sod since 1746 so I told him, "You know our forefathers would be some mad to hear you complain about being hot. Here we are knocking down 200 acres of hay a day, when they could only do 3-5 acres a day by hand scythe.

I read in a story from my Great Uncle that in 1838 him and his brother "cleared 10 acres of land and burned the brush in one summer". I have been clearing 10 acres this summer with a chainsaw and skidder and only have half of it done! Granted their trees were bigger then the ones I am cutting, and there were less of them, but they used AXE AND OXEN!

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:12 pm

I like all the stone walls on my dad's farm....the size of some of the rocks make me wonder how the heck they moved them to form the walls.

I remember being a young kid and asking who built the stone walls and all my dad said was some "very determined people"
1010 loader

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi,

Give me a level long enough, and I will move the world. Add in a mule and a stone boat, and I will build a rock wall.

Easier with a crawler, though! Regardless of which way the fan blows. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)