350BB final drive weak hydraulic on Backhoe

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
prepper
40C crawler
40C crawler

350BB final drive weak hydraulic on Backhoe

Post by prepper » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm

New owner's first post so if I did it wrong or in the wrong place suggestions appreciated.

Pulled final drive and hole for the clutch shaft that pivots in the housing is egg shaped is there a recommended fix for this I have a 1973 JD 350BB SN 183160J. The shaft is worn as well. I have not pulled the shaft yet but if it can be striped I can weld and turn down on my lath. I could strip the housing lighting it up and center it on a mill bore and put a brass bushing in like a pilot bushing in a flywheel but that is a lot of work.
The right side was locked up and upon tear down found by-metal clutch plates and lots of rust seems when the inspection plate was reinstalled they did not want to mess with the bolt under the hyd hose and gobbed rtv in the hole which did not seal. The break band is almost worn out so we will pull the left side and clean reseal and reband the brake as well.
Bearing are slightly dry so I will re-lube them with a grease pack I learned working on Allison power-drives while at a Detroit dealership in the oil field. (throw out and pilot bearing)
I power washer the clutch pack before pulling apart and got rust washing out for about 5 minutes.
Oil in drive was very clean and gears very good shape.
Does any one seal the housing to the mainframe? Looks like a place for water penetration if submerged like in a creek crossing or swampy area. (don't know all the names of the parts yet)
This has a MF backhoe added to it, Hyd works well on loader but backhoe has no power. The pin dose not pop up on hyd tank by the filter.. Hoe will not push or pull but about 1/3 of what tractors I have used in the past would do. The hoe has is a 17 ft boom and the crawler wants to do wheelies when it is attached, so yes it is way over sized.
I have read a lot of the post and found so much info that I was able to pull the drive in one afternoon. Could not achieve the jack trick on the 1 1/8" bolts under neath but ran a chain and used a gantry frame and chain hoist to pull up on the wrench and had success. It was the jack trick that inspired the thought.
Thank to every one who shared your tricks and input. Also the tool for pulling the counter weight was a winner also. I made one in about 20 minutes. I am blessed with a 5k fork lift so transfusing the weight from gantry to back of a trailer out of the way was made easy. You that do it all by hand kudos to you for a job well done. I can't do that any more at 64 years young.
Any way to post pictures?

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: 350BB final drive weak hydraulic on Backhoe

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:48 am

prepper wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm
New owner's first post so if I did it wrong or in the wrong place suggestions appreciated.

Pulled final drive and hole for the clutch shaft that pivots in the housing is egg shaped is there a recommended fix for this I have a 1973 JD 350BB SN 183160J? The shaft is worn as well. I have not pulled the shaft yet but if it can be striped I can weld and turn down on my lath. I could strip the housing lighting it up and center it on a mill bore and put a brass bushing in like a pilot bushing in a flywheel but that is a lot of work.
The right side was locked up and upon tear down found by-metal clutch plates and lots of rust seems when the inspection plate was reinstalled they did not want to mess with the bolt under the hyd hose and gobbed rtv in the hole which did not seal. The break band is almost worn out so we will pull the left side and clean reseal and reband the brake as well.
Bearing are slightly dry so I will re-lube them with a grease pack I learned working on Allison power-drives while at a Detroit dealership in the oil field. (throw out and pilot bearing)
I power washer the clutch pack before pulling apart and got rust washing out for about 5 minutes.
Oil in drive was very clean and gears very good shape.
Does any one seal the housing to the mainframe? Looks like a place for water penetration if submerged like in a creek crossing or swampy area. (don't know all the names of the parts yet)
This has a MF backhoe added to it, Hyd works well on loader but backhoe has no power. The pin dose not pop up on hyd tank by the filter.. Hoe will not push or pull but about 1/3 of what tractors I have used in the past would do. The hoe has is a 17 ft boom and the crawler wants to do wheelies when it is attached, so yes it is way over sized.
I have read a lot of the post and found so much info that I was able to pull the drive in one afternoon. Could not achieve the jack trick on the 1 1/8" bolts under neath but ran a chain and used a gantry frame and chain hoist to pull up on the wrench and had success. It was the jack trick that inspired the thought.
Thank to every one who shared your tricks and input. Also the tool for pulling the counter weight was a winner also. I made one in about 20 minutes. I am blessed with a 5k fork lift so transfusing the weight from gantry to back of a trailer out of the way was made easy. You that do it all by hand kudos to you for a job well done. I can't do that any more at 64 years young.
Any way to post pictures?
Sorry you have not had a reply on this, but I do not have a backhoe so I cannot help you.

If you go down to the bottom of the forum you will see I did a long write up on how to post photos on here and maybe it would help you get more replies.

I put your questions in bold red so that maybe it would stand out from the text better and people could see what you were asking.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

prepper
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 350BB final drive weak hydraulic on Backhoe

Post by prepper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Thank you
1973 JD 350BB, Diesel, 183160 T, with roll cage, front bucket, backhoe and dozer attachment
Prepper