How does this thing work?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
def38
MC crawler
MC crawler

How does this thing work?

Post by def38 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Model 455G. I can operate the bucket but, how do you get the tracks to move? Is there a separate fluid reservoir for the tracks? The hydraulic oil tank sight glass was low. I added 5 gallons of oil and now the sight glass shows full...still, no move.

Help please...I've got work to do.

Thank you in advance.

Dennis
Used to wear a 3 piece suit...now I wear bib overalls.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: How does this thing work?

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:26 am

well the first thing is....you have to put the clutch in and put it in gear.....if'n it don't move would seem the clutch or transmission aint working......what noises do you hear? try to put tranny in neutral if manual tranny and then leave clutch out and cautiously move shifter to feel if gears are moving...that will tell you if clutch engaged to engine....if no gears moving clutch not engaging or maybe shaft broken., could be drive shaft too.

by the way, helps if you indicate what tranny is in it....4 or 5 speed , HLR....i don't know what a 455g is.....

some history on it helps too.

dtoots1 jd440g

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:05 pm

A 455G has a 4 speed forward and reverse power shift transmission that can be fully shifted without use of the clutch.

Oil fill and check dipstick are one in the same and is located behind the side access trap door on the outside rear right of the machine.

Just bought a 98 450G Dozer with a sticky park brake and didn't want to move well. Make sure the park brake is releasing when you shift out of park, both steering pedals or the single brake pedal will come up when you shift out of park.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

def38
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by def38 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks Jason. The pedals stay and do not come up after shifting out of park. I'll look for adequate oil where you say. Thanks. More to follow.

Dennis

def38
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by def38 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:11 pm

I checked the dipstick oil level located behind the panel on the right. The end of the dipstick shows a drop of oil...LOW. Now, do I fill the oil using the dipstick port to the correct level? Will the correct oil level get the tracks moving again? That oil ain't cheap and it takes a lot of it!

Please. someone with experience please reply.

Jason?

Thanks folks.

Dennis

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 am

It would be impossible for anyone to tell for sure if adding oil will get it working but you cannot do any trouble shooting without covering the basics. If the transmission is out of oil and you continue to try and operate it you could burn it out and you could be out many thousands of dollars.

I don't have a 455g (mines a c) but I check the oil and add it in the same hole it's about a 1" port. You should consider downloading a manual/service book for it from john deere it will be essential for your long term ownership. If you search for manual you'll find many post on where to download them from john deere.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

jwalk2c
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jwalk2c » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:40 am

I also recently bought a 1997 455G and I am going over it before putting it to work.
I purchased Owner,Service,and Test Manual from Ebay .
Does your loader have the "warning lights' instrument panel?
If so the first thing the manual instructs is to do a bulb check, and there are 2.
If all the warning bulbs are functioning then maybe your problem is just that the parking brake is not releasing.
Mine has 2 brake pedals and they both return to normal when I pull up on parking lever.

Thanks
Johnny Walker

def38
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by def38 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Still no operation of the tracks...Oil added to the rear tank up past the site glass. Oil dipstick under the RH door shows full. Am I correct, when there is adequate hydraulic pressure and the transmission is shifted out of park, the pedals should extend? I have no pedal action.

Is there air in the hydraulics that may get trapped and not allow hydraulic pressure to develop? If so, is there a procedure to burp the air from the hydraulics. The bucket works fine...the transmission never seems to pressure up. Help!