450c hi-lo range

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

450c hi-lo range

Post by tomcat4144 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 am

was looking at a 1972 450c yesterday. lots of hours on machine, but has all new undercarriage, everything except front idlers and track adjusters have been replaced or rebuilt, including the chains. the one thing i`m wondering about is when shifting from low range to high, it may or may not work. seems it`ll take right off into high range one time, but the next it wont. yes, the oil was barely registering on the dipstick and what was on it was foamy. i`m assuming the proper oil level will take care of the problem? probably more like filter and oil change with proper oil level will take care of it, or could it be more trouble than that? the guy thats had it for the last 10 years has only used it on a small parcel of property and never felt the need to ever put it in high range. engine seems to run nice, but oil leak somewhere. he said he had an oil leak on the turbo line, but patched it up????? a constant cloud of smoke coming off the engine.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Top off the tranny and it will probably be OK .Better still get him to top off the trany and try it They will foam if low in oil as the oil is beeing thrown around by the clutch packs [also if it is over full as well] .The additives in trany lubes will foam a bit .Its hydraulic oil that shouldnt foam . The turbo will need to be resealed and new berrings instaled as old loose berrings take out the seals.Clean out the oil return tube as they can get cloged and create a backup of oil in the shaft lube chamber The carbon deposits release at this point as the oil is cooling very rapidly after beeing scalded in the lube chamber .Remember turbos are hard on motor oil this is why. I take off the tube and pull a rag wad through the pipe to open it up And there are no patch it ups when it comes to turbo repair[get it cheap]as the turbo is a 700+ dollar repair job .Digitup.

tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

450c hi-low range

Post by tomcat4144 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:35 am

thanks Digitup. was skeptical on what he called patching up an oil leak on the turbo, but anyway, Dad decided against buying that machine last night. my curiosity is still working on that tranny tho!

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:05 pm

I would nt be scared of purchacing that unit.But if it isnt working proper I dont pay top bucks simple as that If they dont show top I dont pay top price . Those power shift transmisions are tough units and we ran them low quite often .Then fill it up and back to work you go. Turbos are more expensive to fix but berrings and seals do a lot for an old turbo I bought parts for my last rebuild and did it in my shop The turbo on one of my HD21B Allis needed a kit so I tryed to order a new unit but the sales man couldnt catch on that it had an engine out of a HD21C This motor is totaly different and he could nt understand why I would not order a B turbo.So I put berrings and seals in my self and that is a bit on the technical side for me But it still works after 600 plus hours (so i must have done some thing right) The parts were cheep. I guess the labour is the big thing .Digitup.

tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

450d hi-lo range

Post by tomcat4144 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:36 am

Dad has not made up his mind on this unit yet, still thinking about it now! he is asking $10,000 for this unit and as far as i know that is about bottom dollar from these around here, if you can find them. price seems to be between 10- 16,000 i guess if it was my money i wouldnt be too worried about it either. dad,who has way more money than i do, worries about something that already needs repair work. i volunteered my time to do the work on it for him, but never really done any work to these machines. i look at it as a learning experience. Dad also seems to think it may be too large for him to move tho. as he doesnt have to move it more than 10 miles or so it shouldnt be that bad and he isnt going into business with it. of course he doesnt have a trailer big enough to handle it either. i can always borrow a truck from from a friend and just pay for the fuel. i`m not real sure why he wants to buy one anyway, maybe at 68 and newly retired, he`s gonna have his second childhood and wants toys now!

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:32 am

I bought a 450C straight blade for 5350. All is in working order. The undercarriage is in great shape. Trackar e a little bound up from sitting but overall in good shape. Not sure of the year but the SN is 2034340T. Anyonehave an idea on the year?

Bill

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Tomcat you can never have enough tractors crawler or rubber tired .I find that when the shop is full .There is always room in the yard. And the older you get the more machines you need. My shop was full so I sent two tractors to the sand blasters shop. He has room for them all winter .But as I havent got the drainage plows in yet .And the Wolfe plow takes up quite a bit of room by its self .(Go to Wolfe equipment and you will notice that a 400 takes up considerable room )I am slowing down on my purchaces for a while.But your dad needs a crawler take it from me .Digitup.

tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

450c hi-lo range

Post by tomcat4144 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:44 am

Digitup,

the boys with the most toys always wins! Dad made an offer of $9000 on it and it was accepted. gonna go pick it up today. Dad has never run a dozer with a 6 way blade, gonna get spoiled in a hurry! topped off the transmission and is working like its supposed to. we did not pull off the side guards to look at the turbo closer, but the guy that had it swears up and down that it is leaking oil from the fitting for the oil line to the turbo. decided to just take a chance.