1975 JD 450B no steer and value?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
roamaround
MC crawler
MC crawler

1975 JD 450B no steer and value?

Post by roamaround » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi folks,
Looking at buying a 1975 JD 450B for $4500. Probably too much seeing it might need 4 to 5k to bring up to par. 35% undercarriage at best. Also the bell housing bolts are loose and can see a slight movement on housing when putting blade down while lifting up machine. Looks to be an aftermarket turbo too, though well put together by looks. No steering. Probably sat too long. Seller sprayed penetrating oil on brake bands maybe thinking they were clutches? (no Brakes now either). Question here is looks to me looks like the steering assist runs off the HLR trans pump that also runs trans oil to the trans cooler. Does the pump just bring oil to the assist rams only or does the oil add pressure to help with steering assist after your arms do most of the work with levers? The fitting running off the tans cooler line up to the steering assist rams is loose but not seeing any oil leakage which leads me to think either the pump is not pumping, the level is too low ( it’s half way in the crosshatch marks) I see no steering pump on or in front of engine. I only see the main hydro pump. Looking in the service manual for that machine it shows a steering pump only on the engine. I only see a line coming off the trans cooler lines. Does this make sense to anyone here? Any thoughts on value would be appreciated too. No frame cracks, no hydro leaks, runs good, 6 way blade not warn out. No rear Hydro’s or rams.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1975 JD 450B no steer and value?

Post by Lavoy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:29 pm

I would say $4-5K in the undercarriage, another $2k in steering clutches and related aspects, then whatever else you find for incidentals and surprises. BUT, you would have an awful nice crawler when done.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

roamaround
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by roamaround » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Thank you for the opinion. Is this a good assumption that the trans cooler pump also runs the steering assist? Does trans level have to be topped off to pump to cooler and if it runs steering assist rams?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 am

I'm a lot less versed on the 450's, but doubt there is a cooler pump, it is just flow from the main trans pump. Trans should be to the full mark regardless of steering issue, but don't think that is it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

roamaround
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by roamaround » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

Understood. I'm in agreement with you on the trans pump. Thank you.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 am

I buy,fix,sell or keep all types of equipment. On valuation I look at several things and first and foremost are the comps including transport costs.
If the equipment is for my use alone or if I will hire out with myself as operator I use and average of $100.00 an hour rate.
On your 450B I found the average asking price to be $11,000.00 for an operational unit with a decent undercarriage.Those with a good to excellent undercarriage,new paint,no blow-by etc are at 16 to 18K ASKING price. actual sale prices are difficult to find but a few can be seen at various auction sites and looking at past auction results.
With the issues you described and assuming the engine is good I would not go above $3000.00 for the machine.That leaves you 7 to 8K for repairs(and you will burn through most of that) and still be at average valuation.
But at the end it's your realization of value: if you do $10,000.00 worth of work with an $11,000.00 dozer your net cost is $1000.00.
Man just offered me a 450C crawler loader with a clamshell bucket.Problem is undercarriage is at 30% and he wiped out the engine via diesel contamination through the injector pump into crankcase.
Retail is $8000.00 in this area and even if he gave me the machine repair costs exceed value.
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...