450C final update and valuation

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

450C final update and valuation

Post by amos » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:46 am

First and foremost Thank You for all who helped by answering my questions! Sold my early 80's 450C dozer project yesterday after 5 days on craigslist.Paid $2800.00 for the unit when it was dead and partially disassembled in the woods in southern LA 18 months ago. Repairs were:new turbo,exhaust manifold,hydraulic pump,injectors,tensioner yokes and seals,2 new lift cylinders,1 new angle cylinder,assorted new hydraulic hoses,rebuilt radiator,all hoses associated with engine replaced,new water pump and thermostat,seat frame(used but good).Repaired hole in fuel tank,6 way blade manifold was connected all wrong(why hydraulic pump blew).Only had low range and 1st and 2nd gear: repaired and adjusted linkages and now have HLR as well as 1st through 4th gears.New paint and decals.New arm rests too.Other assorted nickle and dime parts and repairs,fasteners,etc.Undercarriage was a mix: front idlers almost new,some new rollers,rails at 90% sprockets at 70% but pads at 30% and beat to heck.Of course all oils and filters were changed.
Parts came to just shy of $6000.00.
Sold dozer with new U.S.A. Attachment root rake(had for awhile and I think I paid $2200.00 for it but can't remember) mounted for $15,750.00
Probably had around 100 hours into it.
I'm bidding on 18 pieces of equipment on internet auctions and tracking/viewing hundreds and I've noticed equipment values have soared. If you are going to sell something don't be bashful on your asking price.
Buy low and sell high and try to keep all of your pieces and parts attached and only smashed a little:only gave about a pint of blood to the dozer and one moderate 2nd degree burn :)
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 450C final update and valuation

Post by psprague » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 pm

That makes me feel better about bringing back my 450c. No burns but I did almost remove a finger with the lid on the hydraulic tank.
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:54 am

Hi Psprague,
Battery box and hydraulic tank lids both make me look twice to be sure the holding rod slipped into the "slot". I could see it coming down on a finger or hand. OUCH! Glad to hear it didn't take your finger!
Man that bought my 450C hasn't called with a single complaint so it seems he is happy.
Amos

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:26 am

I got mine thru my father's estate and he had got it about 3 or 4 days before he passed (made it to 83 and had a wife younger than me so he had a good life :) ). It ran really well with decent oil pressure but the right clutch/ final drive was bleeding hydraulic oil in a very steady drip. I stripped off the track, bull gear/ final drive and the clutch/brake cover and just reassembled it with new bolts (of correct length and proper torque). I thought they had stripped one or more of the final drive attachment bolts but chasing everything with a tap then using new bolts, it tightened up.

Since, I've put about 15 hours on it, grading an access road on the back of my property. Everything but the brake on the winch seems to work and it's awesome working machine. The L of the HLR is a little slow to engage when cold and I'm still working on fine-tuning both shifter linkages still since the previous person who reassembled left some of the bolts and most of the spacers holding the seat, fuel and hydraulic tank, battery box platform out. They then adjusted linkages to kinda work with it wiggling around.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 am

Hi Psprague,
Sorry to hear that your dad passed:lost mine 14 months ago at 82. He,like yours; had a full life and I doubt either had any real regrets.These "little" dozers are surprising, got more power and ability than one would think and are easy to work on. Parts is a constant battle but most of the important ones seem to be available.
Hit a dry spell on my purchases of new projects. Been outbid lost auction on 18 pieces of assorted construction equipment. Not that I'm cheap but I am thrifty and don't want to spend more than true value after repairs.
Problem is I don't "need" anything I don't already have and what I'm looking for are upgrades or projects with a little room for profit.Tough niche to fill lately.
Had an earlier post about having the "bug" for old equipment and I'm really having "withdrawels" by having nothing to turn a wrench on :(
When you get around to tearing into your winch you'll find some brake discs to be worn and probably the steel discs thin as well. With model and serial number for the winch you should be able to find those with ease.Not a lot to a winch:just the normal work to get down to what needs fixin.
Amos

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Amos,

I'm actually having a dry spell too, I got my dozer put together last spring and then finished up a most of a restoration on a Toyota fj-40 Landcruiser that I've owned forever (37 years and it's now fun to drive again). Its given me time for a few other things, cleaning the tool boxes and shop, there is always something to maintain, and I discovered there are children living in my house. :)

The stuff I work on is also for my hobbies, I do computer stuff for a living (currently I'm working on LiDAR point cloud research).

Pau;l

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Paul,
I got into it heavy about 4 years ago. I own a factory that manufactures HVAC coils and a dingbat doc told me to get a hobby for stress relief. Don't play golf and fishing is a little boring to me so I started buying,fixing,selling "stuff". Records are thin but in last 4 or 5years I "flipped" 14 travel trailers,14 Jeeps,12 farm tractors,assorted implements,8 M35A2 duece and a half trucks,14 hummer trailers,3 dozers,a couple of backhoes, and some other stuff.Plus fixed and kept 8 tractors,dozer,crawler loader,back hoe and more things. Bought some raw land here in NE Texas (68 acres) and cleared some of it with the equipment,dirt work for barns,lanes,food plots and working on weekend cabin home site and infrastructure.
On the stuff I flipped I had to set up an LLC: accountant was having a fit about tax statements.
I'm blessed and I thank God everyday: got a little skill and make a good living.At my factory I have a little area for working on items and if I need some help employees are there and want to pitch in(in addition to the wage I'll slip them some cash if they are helping with my "hobbies").
No kids and wife is supportive as long as she gets her "commission" when I sell something :)
One of my in town neighbors is a lawyer and she noticed assortment of items on haul trailers etc and asked me what I was doing. Told her about doc saying get a hobby and that the "hobby" was working me slap to death.Being a lawyer first words out of her mouth were "Amos you have a classic type A personality and anything you take on you do at 100%+.Your physician should have known that and we have an actionable case here if you're interested".
I just smiled and declined. I work hard and get tired(but relaxed) and they see a case. I REALLY hate lawyers.
Here's what keeps me grounded and thankful: In 1989 I was honorably discharged from the U.S.N and everything I owned in the world fit in a sea bag.Navy taught me skills(already knew how to work) but more importantly they taught me problem solving and how to learn.Been a good life with more ahead.One thing I know for sure: when it's time to check out I won't be bored or idle.
Amos

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:36 am

Good story.... we appear to have a number of things in common;
I HATE Lawyers as well
I also was in the Navy, Flying Navy 72 - 76 Vietnam Service.
And I can not leave anything alone, even stuff I borrow from people which I've had to do on occasion. Most love to lend me stuff, the reason is that I will always return it in better shape than I got it.
While I'm not into it as deep as you are, I love doing everything myself just on a smaller scale. I'm more into cars and the occasional tractor, mine or one of the older neighbors.

I moved to NC in 2009 when I lost my job of 33 years in Michigan. Probably the best thing that could have happened to me, I hated working for the people that bought the company I worked for. I bought some property, ~ 6 acres, designed and built a man cave house-garage, bought a 450C Loader with 4-1 bucket to help clear the property. One of the best investments I've made. Now it needs some work, under carriage, rollers, loader pin bushings... you know the stuff that wears out over time. Not pretty or worth much to most, but, has done me well and I like having it available if need to move some dirt or dig out a stump.
450C Track Loader
291457T

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am

Morning DrLoch,
NC is a nice state,and as with pretty much any state the rural people are good and decent folk. You probably already know what the undercarriage work entails but if you get in a bind you've found the group of people to help.Full size oxy/acetylene rig with assortment of rosebuds and cutting tips is a must have.Mag mount drill is a "really wish I had one" item.Most people who are really going in deep on undercarriage re-build remove it from machine and set it upside down to replace the bottom rollers. Mounting bolts for them are a bear to get out when working upside down.
I was surface fleet from 81-89. Discharged as an MM1 during 89 force reduction. I loved the navy and they wanted me but alas the military ran out of money.I'm 6' tall and at that time weighed 190 pounds and was deemed too fat therefore unfit to remain.X.O. explained the money issue and said I would do well in life (good officer). He was right and I did.
Amos

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Gentlemen: Nice to read your stories. There are many interesting, helpful and talented people on this board. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes for the holidays and the new year. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch