450C learning curve

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

450C learning curve

Post by Michael 450C » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:22 am

So far, I smile every time I use it, and look for excuses to start it up. Bought it in Jun and learned everything I knew about it on this list.

It was a Forestry dozer, and has the winch. Previous owner did not know if it worked, and someone had pulled the line in enough to wedge the hook between cable and frame, and between cable and the hitch on the underside.

I spent a lot of unnecessary effort cutting along the sides of small trees before pushing them over, until I realized how much this machine can do. It has been trouble free and a joy to operate. The blade control lever has too much play and I'll need to work on it eventually, but it works fine.

I finally decided to tackle the winch. Broke off seven of eight bolts holding the hitch, and spent parts of two days with PB Blaster and big hammer and wedges to force it off. I finally managed to get a chain through the hook, and around a big pine. That let me pull the hook free and the winch and control work as they should.

I've expected the colder weather to make it harder to start but it hasn't been a problem yet. I know there will be more questions, and am thankful for this group.

Michael

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C learning curve

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:27 am

welcome aboard and enjoy.....you will find problems as you progress...patience is the word on these things....they are simply OLD and mostly rusted....tho i will say this....have seen many many bolts and parts come loose even better than some of the NEW SH _T that is being put out for many thousands of $$ more....

have a happy and wonderful thanksgiving

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi Michael,
Dozer will surprise you. All depends on tree species and soil types. In sand and with a soft wood tree you can easily push over 10" butt trees all day long. Get into clay and it's a bit more difficult.
Here's a trick I use: build a ramp on the push side of difficult trees(higher the better) ,go up the ramp and with blade up high then push. When you have a good lean on the tree,back down the ramp,pivot 90 degrees,push ramp aside,then go back to original push side of tree,drop blade low and while pushing raise blade from low on exposed root ball till tree is over and down.Push tree from root ball end 15 to 20 feet then back up and push your ramp into the root ball hole.
Using this method I've pushed 20" butt pine trees with a little 10,000 pound 350B.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Michael 450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Michael 450C » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks, droots 1 and Amos. Without knowing how to describe it, I've been doing about what you suggested, Amos. Once I learned to move to a low push and raise after I got it started, it all got easier. I was surprised yesterday by the size of the root ball on some sycamores. They were the hardest for their size of any tree I've moved.

Oh, I have two types of soil. Red clay and gray clay (blue gum). In muddy weather, I get taller as I walk.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Michael