Winter Lay-up Suggestions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Winter Lay-up Suggestions

Post by amos » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:16 am

Hi All,
Winter's here with mud and some snow and if you're like me some equipment is done till next spring.Here's what I do for winter season lay ups:
Obviously check freeze point on anti-freeze. It will loose freeze protection over the years.
I'm a firm believer in battery tenders: on large equipment that won't fit in my barns I remove the batteries and set them on a wood bench and connect a battery tender to each one. On equipment in the barns I rotate the tenders so each has a tender connected every other 30 day cycle(all year long).
On outside equipment I grease everything with a grease fitting to keep water and resultant ice intrusion to a minimum.
Exhaust flapper or not anything outside gets a coffee can over the exhaust.
Tarp over it is good but at the least protect the operator station.
Fuel additives: had problem with algae growth in diesel 1 time and started using an additive with a biocide to kill algae ever since.
Fuel filter/water separator: had one freeze on my in bed fuel tank on my truck once when I was in Nebraska in January picking up a used trailer. Found it when I attempted to fuel my truck via that tank. No flow. HEET will work but Cetane additive is safer in my opinion.
Please add your recommendations for what has worked for you.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

highsiera
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Winter Lay-up Suggestions

Post by highsiera » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Park up on old tires to keep tracks from freezing to the ground.
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind. JCM

'79 JD 450c , Drott 4n1, 93 hoe

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 am

just went thru an ooopps on my jd440. clearing up neighbors lot half frozen and NOT, worked all day and tired, cold, miserable and wet, at end...left mud on old girl and put her in tractor shed....overnight it froze and solid....so now i got mud in tracks and tractor shed on gravel floor..... so best to clean up before!

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 am

Hi Dtoots,
Been in the 70's here last few days but rain,rain,and more rain last month or so. Last 3 days we're at 5". Everything just a squishy quagmire. When a machine freezes up like your what do you do to thaw it out?
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am

WAIT couple days....OHIO is like that, exactly the day this happened it was like 66 degrees out, then rain , then freezing rain, then colder and colder. 2 days later got back up to 70 degrees again and i did get her hosed off and cleaned up...but had to go back out again and got a bit of mud again and shoveled her off this time but didn't hose it off. got enough dang water all around and didn't want more nor do i need more tracks in field.. So will wait to get dried up a bit. did get my rebuilt cylinder to operate and get oil into the downside -- which is why i took her out to try it out. February in Ohio is nothing but rain, freezing rain, snow , hot, cold, cold cold...rain comes up from Texas gulf and cold from our neighbors in canada!!! March is better but still same ol crap different day. Neighbor gonna put drain pipe in his lot that has a standing pool of water that lasts till midsummer and stay anywhere from 4 to 6 inches deep, wild ducks like to stop once in a while. Gonna take about 200 feet of drain pipe to the ditch, all this water affects 3 other neighbors yards and we all on a slight hill, so all in the backyards soaked. Tis nice to have neighbors work together!! By the way tis rain and freezing rain again today. 33 degrees