450 diesel engine no serial #

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
thomasgranat
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 diesel engine no serial #

Post by thomasgranat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:34 am

Hi guys, got my project machine home and have started going thru it. the serial # is missing off the engine block and my shop manual references some different specs for early model vs late model engines. the tractor serial # is T5E3M 066290T. the engine appears to be the original factory install. does any body know how to determine the difference between the early and late models? the oil pressure specs are different for them according to my manual. the casting # above the oil filter is AR59065.so far the deere dealer has not expressed much interest in helping determine what engine I have.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 450 diesel engine no serial #

Post by amos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:21 am

If the crawler still has the serial number plate I would first start there to determine year of manufacture then research engines used for that year. But I have 2 TLB's with engines later than the unit manufacture date. You could be lucky though and have the engine that matches crawler year.
There are some old message threads concerning engines for 450's here too so look at those as well. Looks like 3 different engines will fit your machine.
How did you get it home btw? start and load or winch it onto trailer? Eager to hear how it went.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by pondhogvt » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:05 am

the engine plate with model and serial # should be just above the starter on the engine block.. it could be greasy and or painted over,, look carefully as they are usually still there... it is in a spot pretty well protected so it is usually not missing.. Mark
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.

thomasgranat
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by thomasgranat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 pm

we got the machine running and after a little clutch adjustment got her to drive, I did however not complain when the driver said he was going to winch it onto the trailer! so far not losing any coolant but I am concerned about the oil pressure . it reads 25 psi at idle and 40 or so wot . the serial plate is definitely missing, I found the rivet holes. thanks for the tip I will check the threads on old engines

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:09 pm

25 at idle ain't bad at all. Is that with 30wt oil? Old guys use to say anything above 15 is good enough. Before I would tear the engine down I would remove and check the oil cooler under the oil filter. Remove it, clean it very good then rig up some test fittings,pressure it up to 25 PSI with air and immerse it in some water and look for bubbles. Could be something that simple (and cheap to replace).
I'm in Texas and on my 40+ year old equipment I run straight 40 wt oil.Rotella or Dello diesel rated.
If oil cooler checks good I would then pull the head so as to replace the head gasket. With head off you can check the liners and if not scored I would simply do a head job,check the block for flatness(head will be checked for flatness when it's rebuilt),install new head gasket and see if problem is fixed.
Amos

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:12 pm

Also is cool to hear you got her started! I know how good it feels to hear that sound and see the exhaust smoke!
Amos

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 pm

That serial number shows to be a 1968 model 450 straight. The serial number info is in the FAQ section on this site.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

thomasgranat
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by thomasgranat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:21 am

I put 10/30 from tractor supply into it along with lucas oil .I didn't want to put high dollar stuff in until I figured out the coolant contamination problem.today I'm adjusting the oil pressure regulating valve a little bit. guess I could be running a heavier weight oil in it which would probably bring the pressure up a bit. I've just been following what the service manual says for lack of experience with it.you say the 450s have an oil cooler? I will look for it today. it does have a trans cooler which is a separate core on the right side of the radiator. the job that looks like a real pain is getting the rops and the hoe bracket off to do the brake band. I will be buying a good 4 ton engine hoist for that. oh yea and just about every hose needs to be replaced

thomasgranat
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by thomasgranat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:29 am

thanks Bryce,is the engine serial # the same as the tractor # ie a match?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Good afternoon, The engine oil cooler is directly under the spinon engine oil filter, as amos mentioned above. It is circular in shape just slightly larger than the oil filter. There will be two small radiator hoses, one is flow from the cooling system and the other is back to the cooling system.
The SN and the engine numbers don't match each other. Take care, Bruce

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Another thought on oil pressure: I use a test gauge that I know reads accurate. Had more than a few installed gauges on machines that were off in their accuracy. If you don't have a $5000.00 gauge calibration machine(I don't) you can test gauges with controlled air pressure. Check at 25%,50% and 75% of gauge scale. If they are more than 5% off in accuracy I usually replace them.
Amos