Body more worn out than my equipment

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Body more worn out than my equipment

Post by amos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 am

On topic when looking at working on the heavy parts. What to do when you can't handle the weight?
:x Loaded up my auction treasures yesterday and part of the load out was moving 45 suitcase weights at 102 pounds each from pallets to metal baskets for transport safety. Moved 30 in 20 minutes before yard hand took pity on me and helped with last 15. Left knee shot(and swollen today) arthritic shoulders hurting,fused/repaired lower spine talking to me and my right bicep with is now a monocep since I tore some ligaments a few years ago is pretty sore too.Good cardio workout though as my heart felt like it was doing a solid 160 BPM and ready to jump out and take off across the yard.
Only 56 but started working for wages at 11 so after 45 years of hard work body is just wearing out:much like the old equipment I love to fix.
About 10 years ago a doc gave me the "long face" talk and explained that with what I do any repairs wouldn't last and they are a 1 time deal: wear out a new knee and she's done. same on shoulders etc.
KInda wish my broken down body was more like my equipment: just put on new or rebuilt parts and keep on pushin or diggin.
Back a very few years ago I was a bull and worked like one.Did too much I guess and paying for it now.Hate to ask anyone for help but I guess I will start out of necessity. Down right frustrating.
One good thing though: on the really heavy stuff I have become a rigger extraordinaire : had to as there is no choice now :P
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Body more worn out than my equipment

Post by scampr » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:51 am

This getting older stuff isnt fun at all.. I thought it was called golden years but i am missing the gold haha.. When i hit 60 it seemed like
i ran into a brick wall. If anyone finds the fountain of youth PLEASE let us know. :D
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:07 pm

scamper,
Amen my friend.When I was young I was dumb. Old and wise but broke down now.
Amos

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:10 pm

went to the doc the other day....told him...my rigor mortis is acting up!! looks at me and says you aint dead yet...so i says...well i don't want no arthritis cause that sh.. just a keeps coming back...specially with this blamed OHIO stuff..gotta luv it.we get it all!!!!..74 and keeping on keeping on....

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:27 pm

dtoots1,
Wise man told me the surest way to die is to retire and stop livin. Seen it happen too many times to recall. A man has to have a reason to get up and move everyday. It's what keeps me moving and declining offers to sell out and "retire".
Something I've learned is it's about impossible to have too much rigging and handling gear: come alongs,bars,crowfoots,hoists,jacks,slings,chain,A frame or some type of lift support. Even fork lifts can be found for reasonable $$$ if one looks long and hard.Picked up a Clark 5000# forklift at auction last year for $1800.00.Needed brakes and a major tune up. Left rear axle bent about 1" in at top but does not affect it much at all.
Always on the lookout for deals on such.
Amos

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Lifting and rigging equipment are great. I call on my friend Hiab much more often these days. Plan it out as well. I heard this was attributed to Ronald Reagan. Don't just do something, stand there which I take as meaning think it out, plan it out then do it.

thomasgranat
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by thomasgranat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 pm

hey look at the bright side, in our later years we substitute experience and knowledge for pure brawn. I really wish I knew in my 20s what I know now, hopefully in my sixties ill be twice as smart! but i hear ya on the chronic back pain.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Good thing is my wife does try to help and she's sweet as can be but a little on the small side. She has the heart but not the umph. Good little helper though.She's an immigrant and in her home country they hire helpers for everything and "patrons"(that's me) don't do manual labor. being that I'm "thrifty" (or a tightfisted man:depends on who you ask) I always want to do for myself. And it seems that when I do hire something out the job is done less than what I could/can do myself.
But every day is a new one and sun will rise no matter what. I truly do love fixin old equipment and having to stop and think is a reason to stop and rest a bit.
Amos

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:20 pm

The other issue is your brain doesnt remember your body isnt 20 anymore and you jump into something thinking oh this
is easy then your body and muscles remind you that your brain lied :(
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 am

I am only 43 and my body is wrecked.

I was a welder for the railroad/maritime industries and they say that 1 in 3 welders will blow out their knees by just kneeling all day on steel deck plates. They also said the average retirement payout is only 18 months; in other words, people at a shipyard only live on average, 18 months after retiring. Both my knees are shot, one being rebuilt, but logging is tough on them even after retirement. My skidder is a ways off the grounds and climbing up and down so often, just makes my poor knees worse.

To answer the question directly though, my log loader has been the answer to my problems. It only lifts 800 pounds, but being on a trailer I can take it anywhere and often do. I have used it for almost everything as it ends up being a personal crane for me. I was able to lift my John Deere 350D engine with it for instance...barely...but it did do it.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm 64 now,almost 65, and after 43.75 years in the excavating biz, still luv my jab mon. Yes indeed,I really truly do, mostly because I love working good JD iron and helping my clients with any and all of their site work issues. My new man cave this time of year is also a godsend in this frigid NY Winter.Yes to arthritis and I think bursitis in my right arm but with all my tools, lifting devices and such, just have to keep making lemonade out of those lemons.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 am

Many years ago, I bought a little Transitier 3 wheel forklift with a Crosley engine in it for little or nothing. I commented one day to a friend of mine that stopped over that it was only the same cost as a few chiropractor visits. He looked at me and said, "No dumbass, what happens when you do something stupid and hurt yourself permanently and have to sell the business, then what is that forklift worth?" Kind of a sobering statement, but he was right. Now I have a little FG9 grey market Toyota gas that will lift a ton to 10 feet. I have said that when it quits, I quit, I am just not going back to doing everything by hand like I used to. Also bought a Deere 4120 tractor loader a few years ago and got a set of forks for it. Can't believe how much I use it too.
I preach to my son regularly to work smarter, not harder, and then maybe so much stuff won't be worn out when he gets to my age (53).
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am

i aint fortunate enough to have forklifts etc....but i sure do use my chain hoist, coma longs and 3 points for lifting along with hydraulic jacks where needed. just got done doing mine and 6 neighbors driveways w/3 to 5 inches of snow and run the old whld jd40 out a gas too. started right back up so tis fine....
i just don't like packed snow on driveways. wet too.
74 and keeping on