550 water in transmission

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
DSG
MC crawler
MC crawler

550 water in transmission

Post by DSG » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 pm

My 550 has some water in transmission and brake/clutch area. Not alot but enough to make the oil milky. It is under cover so I don't think rain is the problem. Is oil pumped thru core of radiator, or is it just cooled by traveling thru the bottom of radiator. No oil in radiato rwater. How about stop leak it must be small leak. Radiator is not leak any water externally. Front of the tractor has been removed so it is not hard to have radiator repaired.

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 550 water in transmission

Post by tuney443 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm

The tranny cooler is usually a separate add on alongside the radiator that has hydraulic oil in it that gets cooled by the fan.The water in your tranny didn't come from either that or the radiator.Condensation is usually the culprit.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:38 am

tuney is correct. Another question though" how long since the tranny oil was changed? if unknown then assume decades and the condensation will be the source. DO NOT use stop leak: if you've ever opened an engine that had stop leak in it it's down right ugly. It "stops leaks" and also tends to foul every internal water passage as well.
If bullnose is off I would send radiator out for cleaning and oil cooler attached to the side of it as well,install a new belt,clean front of engine and change every hose in that area:radiator,oil cooler,water pump bypass,etc.
Paint any steel line(coolant lines going to cooler under oil filter as well). Easy to do with nose and especially radiator off and out of the way and not too expensive.
Back when I was fooling with Jeeps service manual specified changing the clutch any time transfer case and tranny were removed: lots of work to get to the clutch and the clutch itself is cheap. Same on a dozer: pulling bullnose is a chore and while it's off do what is listed above because parts are cheap and it's just good practice.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

DSG
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DSG » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Left turn brake would not stay adjusted, I would adjust it through the plug on side of case and after a few turns then I could not turn to the left, repeat the process same results. I now have used method described by manual. I also took the cover off left side brake housing lining looks sufficent. Is there anything I should check before I put ut back together.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 am

Look closely for a reason as to why it's losing adjustment. When set it should stay set.Haven't worked on a 550 but back to good practice: tape your socket to the extension(if that's what you're using for adjustment). Drop the socket into case and it's a 40+ hour teardown and reassembly to recover it.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...