JD 350B Reverser oil pump

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
djs500
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350B Reverser oil pump

Post by djs500 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 pm

I am in the process of rebuilding my 350B reverser.
I couldn't find any specs on the oil pump gear clearance, in the manual.
Mine measured .028 clearance, that seemed high from the information I could find on similar pumps.
Just bought a new set of pump gears. the clearance on these is .005

garyreed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: JD 350B Reverser oil pump

Post by garyreed » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:12 pm

I have acquired a 350B crawler that had not run in about 20 years. The guy knew it needed steering clutches (the unit was left outside for a period of time and they locked up) and was performing well prior to that. After getting the engine started it seemed that everything was functioning properly except the steering clutches were indeed locked up.

After replacing the clutches and changing the fluids, the initial test run had everything working like I thought it should. Now I must say that I am not a crawler operator so working properly may be a stretch. On the first run at actual working I realized that when you were pushing and moved the reverser to neutral and back to forward it would not move, but if I went to reverse for a few feet and back to forward it would push until the tracks spun or it powered out and died. I brought it back in the shop and after talking to a friend, realized that I had not changed the reverser fluid or filter.

I took it out for another run after changing those and it still does the same thing. The temperature does not seem to be a factor as it will happen cold or hot. Upon reading some of these posts here I feel that my issue my be a sticking spool valve. It seems that these my be a pain to service in the tractor and was thinking of pulling the valve body and giving it a good cleaning. Has anyone tried this and is there anything to watch for.

All information will be greatly appreciated.

Gary