Year of machine

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Rincon
420 crawler
420 crawler

Year of machine

Post by Rincon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am

I have a 450C i just recently purchased, Serial numbers barely visible. Can i get an estimated year of machine by style of Roll over design?

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Year of machine

Post by amos » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:17 am

Not really. Older machines can and are usually a mishmash of add on parts. If you take a digital pic of the serial number plate and then view on computer it may be more visible. I've also done the pencil rub on paper trick and had luck with that.Put a clean piece of paper on the plate and rub with a pencil lead(sideways on lead angle).
If yours has a turbo it is about 2 years into the 450c run. After that major parts are usually all the same till the end of the run.
Another way is to get with a JD dealer and look for a cheap part at the seriel number break. Look pre and post break at the part and see which matches your machine.Could be radiator, the air cleaner, hyd valve manifold,or something similar as well as visible.On my 450C there were 2 tach cables listed. 1 was about 36" and the other was around 5'. Mine took the shorter cable and that helped narrow down the year era.
Half the "fun" on old machines is figuring out exactly what your new treasure is.

Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am

I agree with amos's ideas. Is the aluminum serial number plate on the machine/front of left battery box still present? If the tag is still there, you could drill the rivets. Most of the "C" models I have been around have the SN stamped into the steel box, directly under the aluminum SN plate. If the plate is gone and the stamp is un-readable, you will have to look for parts and SN breaks. Take care, Bruce

1983m35a2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by 1983m35a2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 pm

My 450b has the serial mumber stamped in the top of the trans/ring and pinion housing at the very back. There is also another set of numbers
Back there that are measurement from when the
Ring and pinion were set. I think the serial number is on the right of that housing and the other numbers are on the left from the back looking forward. I have the operator station off
For a rebuild so it is easy for me to see.
I would attach a pic of it if I knew how.
I could email or text you a pic if that would help.
Jim

Rincon
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Rincon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Yes Email photo thanks. dmaezer1@gmail.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:24 pm

You can post pics on this site by sending either pm or email to LAVOY with login name and password......

Check Q&A forum at bottom of board index after you login to jdcrawler site....is not visible till you login., read about "New Dedicated Pic Server"

You upload pics to dedicated pic server site here.

thanks