Date of machine 450C

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Date of machine 450C

Post by vthartford » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:49 pm

I have a 450 with the SN 230430T. ANione know what year it is? Also, I have to do a head gasket job on it? SHould I get the parts from my local Deere dealer or Reliance?

Bill in Jax, FL

Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Date of 450C machine

Post by Mariner » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:47 am

Hi Bill,

I have a 450 (1968) and have the engine out for a rebuild - should be up and running by the weekend, all being well. I went the John Deere dealer route and found that they were hopelessly out of touch with the older equipment. Reliance, by the nature of their business of supplying after market parts, seem to be far more knowledgeable. I had to advise the JD dealer of mods and production changes to the engines. I took my engine out of the machine on 1st September and most of the time since has been wasted due to ordering mistakes by the dealer. Also, my local dealer has little if any spare part stock and has to order everything in from outside anyway.

I would go the Reliance route - check their website. You will find they are considerabley cheaper and there should be less confusion. An example, - I renewed my lube oil pump; Reliance $165, JD dealer $500+. I ruined a few balance shaft bushes pushing them in and had to buy more. Reliance $4.50 each, JD dealer $6.50 approx. You can see that there is quite a difference in price. Getting a quote from both suppliers would give you and idea. I am sure that there are other suppliers out there too, if you look hard enough.

HTH

Mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

sandman2234
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sandman2234 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:03 pm

If your talking about using the JD dealership in Jax, I can tell you that they can't get parts right for my JD2555, much less a dozer!!
Good luck with it, and let me know if you decide to work on it yourself. I might want to get my hands dirty if your not too far out in the woods.
David from jax
Have gun, will travel

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:06 pm

I took the head off. It looks like it had a new head gasket on it. I am taking the head to a machine shop at Wilson and Jammes to have it checked out. I am not sure where else it the water in the oil could be coming from. It only took about 45 minuted to take the head off. Try doing that on any modern machine.

Bill

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

age of 450

Post by digitup » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:43 pm

I posted the serial numbers lately .You should find them at 450 I think heading I noticed you are wondering where oil can get into antifreeze in a Deere #1 oil cooler on side of engine #2 head gasket and last and most common #3 sleeve piting at base of sleeves in block Deeres are bad for this .Digtup.

JAG
40C crawler
40C crawler

10 Bucks

Post by JAG » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:24 pm

I have $10 that says you have pinhole leaks in at least two sleeves..... Make sure you put the water treatment in the radiator when you finish the rebuild.
JAG

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:14 pm

I have the head at the shop getting checked. HWere is the oil cooler. I did not remember seeing that. I looked at the machine today and it does not look like pulling hte engine would be that bad. How hard are the sleeves to get out? Is this something that a machine shop needs to do. I am assuming the engine needs to come out for this? Do you think that I and a very good big truck mechanic friend could handle it?

Bill

JAG
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JAG » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:32 pm

Bill, The oil cooler is on the right end of the radiator, and can be seperated. The sleeves can be changed in-frame. I have not done it but my motor was rebuilt in-frame. Not sure but was told that everything can be changed out except one set of bearing that way. Should be no problem for you and your friend. My in-frame rebuild went great and has really held up. Hope this helps.
JAG

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Oil cooler not hydraulic oil cooler.

Post by digitup » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:58 pm

The oil cooler I was talking about is on the side of the motor on some motors and between the motor and oil filter on others .Theres oil and antifreeze in these and its a good place to start .Digitup.

sandman2234
40C crawler
40C crawler

Wilson and Jammes

Post by sandman2234 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:59 pm

I for the life of me can't picture a machine shop anywhere near that location, except for the guy I bought my Bridgeport and Southbend from, and he is not taking on customers.
What is the name of the shop?
David from jax
Have gun, will travel

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:59 pm

SHop is called Auto Parts and Machine. It is in the same building as a sewing amchine shop I think. A real hole in the wall but one a my buddies who builds race cars recommeneded them. They seem good.

Bill

sandman2234
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sandman2234 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:54 pm

I will have to keep them in mind for any engine machine work that needs to be done.
Don't you hate having to work on that, after just having bought it, and not getting enough seat time before the engine needs rebuilding?
That is what steered me away from buying the one in Daytona. I was afraid I would end up working on it instead of it working on the stuff I needed working on.
David from jax
Have gun, will travel

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:17 pm

Looks like JAG wins. Dropped the oil pan this morning. After everything was clear, I bumped the starter and left the 2nd piston from back at top position. I went underneath and saw antifreeze pouring from that piston/sleeve area. Rebuild kit is on the way. My manual is on the way but anyone want to give me the torque values I need to put this back together. (Head bolts, rod bolts, etc)

Thanks,
bill

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:13 pm

I am dowwnloading the Manual right now. It was alot cheaper that way.

Bill

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:27 am

Got the pistons and cylinder liners out yesterday. The rear liner was a real PITA. The frame crossmember was in the was. THe local Reliance dealer, 2 hrs away, sent the wrong cylinder kit. All was good except the piston pins did not fit my connecting rods. To all who are doing rebuild, I recommend pulling the parts first if you can. From the old piston, I was able to get the part number and cross reference that to the new part number. If any one wants to see what a hole in the line looks like or how they erode on that backside, let me know and I will post or email you a picture.

Bill