Help on figuring out 450 year?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jgibbs
MC crawler
MC crawler

Help on figuring out 450 year?

Post by jgibbs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Hey guys. I went and looked at a track loader over the weekend to buy. It’s been sitting for about 10 years and I was told it was parked because it would only turn one way. Well that’s not big deal to me. I enjoy the occasional project. My confusion comes from trying to figure out the actual model. On the back role bar there is a sticker that’s barley legable and it says 450c. But the riveted plate below the seat with a type number(T5E3M) and serial number (109033T)indicates it’s a 450 accounting to a post I seen on here. Just looking for a second option. I really would like to have it and will probably get it anyway. Just trying to figure out how old it really is.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Help on figuring out 450 year?

Post by B Town » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:51 pm

The SN's for various series are listed in the John Deere Crawler FAQ's section. The one you are looking at is a 1970 "straight ". Essential the start of the 450 series, we call it a straight, some call it an "A", although Deere never called them an "A". It is not uncommon to come across an earlier model that has later model stickers on it. Some people liked the idea of having what appeared to be a later model, some unscrupulous people/dealers would put late model stickers on, so they could fool customers and get more $$. Welcome to the site, Bruce

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi,

That tag says it is a 1970, Straight (as in No Letter) 450 crawler, loader, Diesel, with an HLR.

Lots of machines get new decals with the wrong letter, so that is probably the case here. It seems that decals with the letter 'C' get used a lot. That might be due to earlier models using 'c' to mean 'crawler' in their model numbers. Or, it might be simply easier to source those vs. the older decals. Or, as noted, due to a worse reason....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:47 am

Bruce and Stan have you going in right direction. Yours does sound like a straight 450. ROPS tag doesn't mean much as the ROPS for a 450C fits a 450 and was probably added later in the machines life.
Get with a JD construction dealer and they can tell you if there is a serial number break for parts: pre serial number 12345 takes this part and post serial number 12346 takes a different part. Then with that you can narrow down year model but every parts source will ask either part number or machine serial number. Never had one ask year model.
There are 2 books you need to get: parts manual and service manual. These are critical.
Steering clutch parts you can get from Lavoy: he's the site administrator here. Just PM him.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...