450c exhaust manifold smoke

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
highsiera
MC crawler
MC crawler

450c exhaust manifold smoke

Post by highsiera » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:33 am

Have a 1979 JD 450c w/ turbo. Getting a lot of smoke coming off the exhaust manifold after it warms up. I replaced all the leak off fittings and lines, but it hasn't seemed to abate the problem. Any thoughts or previous experiences here please?
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind. JCM

'79 JD 450c , Drott 4n1, 93 hoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450c exhaust manifold smoke

Post by B Town » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:37 am

If the smoke is coming out of the exhaust, I would think about injectors. Could you provide more history. Had it sat for an extended time? What condition is the fuel. Air intake is good/clean? Any blowby? Good luck, Bruce

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:11 am

Mine did/does the same thing. As you have done, I've replaced some of the injector leak off lines and fittings but it took some time for the leaked fuel to get burned off. DId you replace the fittings as well? That is where most of mine was coming from. It is/was leaking at the ferrule fittings, I say is because I'm getting smoke again as well and I didn't replace all the fittings. Where did you get your fittings?
450C Track Loader
291457T

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 am

See same on some diesels I bring in for repair.If you mean the smoke is external of the manifold and not smoking exhaust it can be only a few things: fuel leak at injector supply or return,leaking rocker arm cover gasket(aka valve cover gasket),leak on oil supply or return on turbo, a very worn turbo leaking oil externally at seal plate. Has to be a leak somewhere.
I usually clean with a can or 2 of brake cleaner, then spritz with some Dawn dishwashing liquid then pressure wash to get all oil and filth off then warm it up to dry and start looking for the leak(s) with a very strong light.
I just finished a diesel tractor and once I had parts in hand the inframe rebuild took 4 hours. Chasing leaks on the rest of the tractor was another 16 hours.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 am

After re-reading, the smoke is coming off the external surface of the exhaust manifold? I agree with the above comments regarding replacing lines, cleaning etc. When I rebuilt my engine, I replaced the injectors and upgraded the return lines to the newer Deere "40 series" return lines. These are rubber T fittings and are held tight by a spring clamp. These seem to be better in generic and less susceptible to fuel leakage. Take care, Bruce

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:32 am

Another problem I have encountered with these machines that causes a lot of exhaust smoke/exhaust leak is a wore out exhaust adapter Part # R 51736. This piece fits between the exhaust port of the turbo and the cast on exhaust elbow. When cold this adapter is loose, but when the engine reaches operating temperature this adapter swells(it has a different coefficient of expansion compared to adjacent materials) and seals the exhaust leaks. This adapter is often neglected and needs replaced. I also will replace the gaskets between the exhaust elbow and the exhaust pipe part # R99844. These ideas may be helpful if what we're dealing with is an exhaust leak and not actual smoke coming off the exhaust manifold itself. Bruce

highsiera
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by highsiera » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:42 am

thank you all for the replies.
1. yes, external smoke from the manifold.
2. replaced the leak off lines AND the brass "tees." the rubber gaskets in the tees had disintegrated in a couple.
3. I am getting exhaust smoke out the union between the turbo and the exhuast flange as was mentioned, this is separate from the concern I poted about. I thought there might be a rubber donut in there, but none listed in the parts manual. i guess the cast part could be worn.

I will run it for a few hours in the coming weeks and see if the residue burns off the manifold and it gets better.

Thank you again.
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind. JCM

'79 JD 450c , Drott 4n1, 93 hoe