555A crawler loader torque converter

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
carl66757
MC crawler
MC crawler

555A crawler loader torque converter

Post by carl66757 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 am

I have a deere 555a early serial, and the tq seal was leaking so I pulled the tq which I finally figured out the pump came out with it. I have a manual but it's not very informative, Im trying to figure if I need to further tear down the pump or just replace the housing seal. The machine pulled fine, would spin the tracks around half throttle. It just leaked a ton of fluid into the bellhousing while running.
Seams there isn't much info out there for this model, seams to be a oddball

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 555A crawler loader torque converter

Post by amos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 am

Just my opinion as an old wrench turner:no knowledge of your machine but whenever I go deep into a repair I check everything associated with the repair. You have the pump out; I would go ahead with a re-build or at the least send it out for testing.Just good methodology.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

carl66757
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by carl66757 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Ive tore apart the converter and there is a wear bushing that JD don't offer and Im not sure if its past service limits, my techical manual I bought is crap, it doesn't have anything about clearances.... the planet pinion carrier that I assumed was the pump is what the bushing rides on, its a 3.500inch ID and has 0.012 inches of clearance, it seams too much to me I would think 0.008 would be plenty.

here are some pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/wXMlPzhfYEyqoU9n2

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:31 am

carl66757 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:52 pm
Ive tore apart the converter and there is a wear bushing that JD don't offer and Im not sure if its past service limits, my techical manual I bought is crap, it doesn't have anything about clearances.... the planet pinion carrier that I assumed was the pump is what the bushing rides on, its a 3.500inch ID and has 0.012 inches of clearance, it seams too much to me I would think 0.008 would be plenty.

here are some pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/wXMlPzhfYEyqoU9n2
Looks like you've gone pretty deep on tear down.On the bushing: do you have the JD part number? Either way I've had good luck when I need help with a company here in Longview Texas.Doggett Machinery Services and ask for Mel. He is a senior service tech and is a great source for help. 903-758-3326. Doggett is a JD construction servicing dealer. Good people. They can also assist with finding the part number and availability of the bushing if the .012 clearance is out of spec. Tell them Amos said to call.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...