JD 450C radiator issues

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
atbrdly
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: JD 450C radiator issues

Post by atbrdly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm

I have a question. I put a new engine temperature gauge on it but it's not working. where exactly is the sending unit? I read its on the front of the motor on top of the cylinder. can anyone be more specific. what is considered to be the front?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:04 pm

The fan and water pump are at the front of your engine, flywheel/clutch at the rear. Sitting in the seat as you would to operate, left and right are the same sides as your left and right.

I would look at the top, left rear of the cylinder head for the engine temp sending unit. That is where they are on my tractors.

You likely know this but not all electric gauges and sending units will match and work together properly. Something to watch for if it works but the readings don't seem right.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:10 am

atbrdly wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm
I have a question. I put a new engine temperature gauge on it but it's not working. where exactly is the sending unit? I read its on the front of the motor on top of the cylinder. can anyone be more specific. what is considered to be the front?
I'm thinking you might be a newbie to the wonderful world of heavy equipment,aka money pits :D Get all three manuals:operators,service and parts. If your machine isn't clean,then pressure wash it and get as much of the decades old grease and grime off that you can.
On any unknown but new to me machine I get in I go from top to bottom and front to back looking for things that need attention:loose fittings,easy fix leaks,missing fasteners,seized cables,loose wires..... Takes several days but it helps to learn about the machine and sometimes an easy and quick fix will stave off a major repair.
Engine compartment is best viewed with hood and side covers off: just takes a few minutes. Get a good light and all sorts of interesting things can be seen."Hmmmm,what is this wire for and where does it go?" manuals will tell you.Same with oil lines,fuel lines etc,etc,etc.
I spent well over an hour looking for the fuel shut off solenoid on a Case injector pump(new machine to me and first case machine I've had). Knew it had one,knew where it should be,knew there must be a wire going to it. Finally found it on the back side of the IP behind a support bracket,in a shadow because I didn't remove the hood and didn't have my good light with me: and I've been turning a wrench for nigh on 45 years.
Older equipment is pretty simple so get the books,ask questions and enjoy.
On the temp sensor:blade is front of machine and fuel tank is back of machine.Looking forward from operator station left is left and right is right.Depending on engine sensor will be at the very front or the very rear of the head on the top surface.Either 1 wire going to it if electronic or what looks like a bare copper wire if mechanical(that is actually a capillary tube so don't kink it).
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

atbrdly
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by atbrdly » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:35 pm

my latest finding....

I removed the radiator tonight no problem. I decided I would replace the thermostat as well and removed the thermostat housing. when I removed the housing I found no thermostat. I know that's not a big deal. however the next thing I noticed was the line going from the thermostat housing to the waterpump was completely plugged. this is the elbow the comes from the exhaust manifold and there is a line that goes out of it to the water pump. that line was completely plugged. I took off the elbow and had to basically chisel the stuff out of the line.

not sure what this new find means... any thoughts?

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:34 pm

I would think that line was to allow the water pump to circulate water in the block before the water was hot enough to open the thermostat. With no thermostat it would not make much difference. If you install a thermostat you will need that circulation to prevent hot spots in the block.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:56 am

not sure were located but if you are considering a re core on your radiator i have been using Detroit Radiator they are a manufacturing facility with locations across the US best prices around.

JIM

atbrdly
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by atbrdly » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Should I flush the engine in any way? I used the little valve on the side of the engine to drain the coolant from the engine. should I push water through and let it drain? would that be beneficial at all?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi,

Can't hurt. Especially with the crud you found in the small line. I would run water from a hose into the top and see what comes out the bottom.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

atbrdly
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by atbrdly » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 am

Hey all - just wanted to thank everyone and let everyone know the outcome.

I had the radiator rebuilt and put it back in place. I ran the dozer for about 3 straight hours with no issues (normally by 15 minutes the coolant would spew out). I believe the issue has been solved. thanks again.

Adam