350s reverser

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
James6600
MC crawler
MC crawler

350s reverser

Post by James6600 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi. I picked up a 1967 JD 350 with the reverser out of course. I have books on order from Davenport tractor but they are not here yet. So here’s my question, I’ve pulled the reverser but on the way out the brake pedal hits the right frame rail so you can’t take it off and it doesn’t clear the loader frame if you leave it on. My solution was to pull the reverser up and forward and rest the oil sump on the cross member then rotate an 1/8 of a turn clockwise looking from the front and remove the brake pedal. Now this worked coming out but is going to be a pain going back in. What are you guys doing to solve this brake pedal problem?

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350s reverser

Post by gregjo1948 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:25 am

I never removed a reverser from a loader so I'm just guessing. Would the loader be out of the way if it was raised up?
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:38 am

James6600 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:30 pm
Hi. I picked up a 1967 JD 350 with the reverser out of course. I have books on order from Davenport tractor but they are not here yet. So here’s my question, I’ve pulled the reverser but on the way out the brake pedal hits the right frame rail so you can’t take it off and it doesn’t clear the loader frame if you leave it on. My solution was to pull the reverser up and forward and rest the oil sump on the cross member then rotate an 1/8 of a turn clockwise looking from the front and remove the brake pedal. Now this worked coming out but is going to be a pain going back in. What are you guys doing to solve this brake pedal problem?
Major pain in the kiester but if I'm doing major repairs that require significant tear down of the machine I remove the "attachments" which in your case is the loader assembly. Saves time,frustrations,busted knuckles,strained back,broken bones in the long run.Paid shops do all sorts of short-cuts and often leave attachments in place: they also have gantry cranes,fork trucks,more hands,etc.To them time is money: to me a broken arm or hand isn't worth the risk to save a few hours. just my 2 cents worth.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi,

My 350C manual says to:

Refer to section 4, Group 401 and remove engine.

"On crawler loader units, leave loader and cowl support intact. Disconnect the brake pedal, remove stop and roll pedal back. Disconnect all wiring and control linkage from reverser housing. Remove cap screws securing reverser housing to cowl supports, side frames, front cross bar and transmission. With the aid of a hoist, remove reverser housing by sliding forward off transmission studs and out under loader and cowl support."

It also says:

"Disconnect all the necessary wiring, linkage and lines from cowl. Remove cap screws securing cowl to reverser housing. With the aid of a chain hoist, lift cowl from crawler. Disconnect linkages and lines from both sides of reverser housing. With the aid of a hoist, remove reverser housing by sliding it forward off transmission studs and input shaft."

There is also a note:

"Note: if coupler remained on transmission input shaft when reverser housing was removed, pull coupler off and place it on end of drive shaft for easier installation."

Now, these instructions are from the 350C TM. This rolls both dozers and loaders and either with backhoes into a single manual. The earlier series had all separate manuals for everything. Same holds true for the PC. There may be some other things in the earlier manuals if this part had significant changes over the C series. But, I don't think there were.

I take the two sets of instructions to mean a Loader machine and a Dozer or bare machine. The Loader part is easy as it says so. ;) The other must be for the other two configurations.

I entered them both for future reference. The OP needs to seal with the brake pedal since he has a loader attachment.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)