JD 455G Crawler Loader Questions.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
RAHarden
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 455G Crawler Loader Questions.

Post by RAHarden » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 am

I have never owned a crawler loader and I don't know much about them. I am considering buying one for cleaning small acreage wooded areas in Illinois. I looked at JD 455G the other day, owned locally. The machine looks decent and started right up. When I drove it, it did not turn to the right very well, if at all. I would step on the right turn pedal and nothing would happen. I pumped the pedal a few times and it did turn. I let up and it didn't turn again. The left turn works great. Push the left pedal and it turns on a dime. Is this just and adjustment or is something worn out or broken?
The other question I have, is the clunk noise coming from the right track, mostly when backing up. It sounds like the track is too loose and it catches the drive sprocket teeth. You can see it jumping when it makes the noise. When the owner drove the crawler, he had the engine RPM up quite a bit and it did turn right, but not all the time and the track clunk wasn't as bad. Both tracks were sagging more than they should be, by my guess. The tracks looked loose and sloppy when the owner was driving it.
The unit has around 4800 hours. I didn't get the year or serial number. The owner thought it had around 50% left on the undercarriage. Can anyone help with advise? The asking price is $17,500. Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: JD 455G Crawler Loader Questions.

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:32 pm

As a general rule, when someone quotes you an undercarriage percentage, divided by two. Hate to say it, but it is a very subjective thing to most people unless a true undercarriage inspection report has been done by a skilled tech.
Assuming you are looking at undercarriage, deduct some or half the cost of the undercarriage parts from the price.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi,

True. I usually take a claim of 50% as meaning only one track likes to flop off. Or, either track likes to flop off only half of the time. ;)

To get a true number, one needs several tools and everything gets measured. Then, all the readings go onto a form and the life figure is derived from that. It takes precious little wear to hit 0%.

The steering is simple. The clutch has to disengage prior to the brake engaging. If it won't steer, then either the clutch is still engaged or the brake is not. That can be due to a misadjustment, but more often it means new parts are needed. So, then one gets to split the track and remove the final drive.

The good news is once you have the track off, making those wear measurements is a lot easier.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

RAHarden
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by RAHarden » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks Lavoy. I don't know much about crawlers, and I didn't inspect the tracks very well, because I wouldn't know what to look for, except the obvious. It was raining that morning and I wasn't dressed to lay on my back. I'm surprised that a 455G with supposedly just under 4800 hours would need an undercarriage rebuild. Unless the hour meter doesn't work. I know the guy who owns the used machinery dealership and I think he is somewhat honest, but who knows. It's all about money these days. Between the track issue and the right turn not working well, I better pass on this thing. I don't need more headaches and projects.

RAHarden
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by RAHarden » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Stan Disbrow wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm
Hi,

True. I usually take a claim of 50% as meaning only one track likes to flop off. Or, either track likes to flop off only half of the time. ;)

To get a true number, one needs several tools and everything gets measured. Then, all the readings go onto a form and the life figure is derived from that. It takes precious little wear to hit 0%.

The steering is simple. The clutch has to disengage prior to the brake engaging. If it won't steer, then either the clutch is still engaged or the brake is not. That can be due to a misadjustment, but more often it means new parts are needed. So, then one gets to split the track and remove the final drive.

The good news is once you have the track off, making those wear measurements is a lot easier.....

Stan
Thanks Stan. Your 50% analogy is good! Ha! I think I better keep looking. I didn't want something that needs major work. I don't mind servicing and adjustments, but not major work, or to pay for it. Only if I could buy it right to compensate for the repair cost. So do most used crawlers with around 4000 to 5000 hours have bad tracks? I didn't know what the life expectancy of tracks are. Seems like they don't last long.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Life expectancy varies drastically with area and usage. I knew an old track man in WI years ago, and in the bogs they would get 400 hours on a set of pins and bushings, turn them, run another 400 and throw the tracks away. Loader crawler will have accelerated wear compared to a dozer.
Unless it has new paint and says 2018 for the model year, you are going to fix something to a lot of things, just the nature of a crawler.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:14 am

Hi,

Loader crawlers carry a lot more weight around than a dozer when empty. Even more when loaded. Yet the u/c is the same except for the pads. So, it is easy to see how the u/c wear rate is greater.

From the description, sounds like the chain pitch has lengthened from wear and is now climbing the sprocket. In reverse, all the teeth are involved since the chain is being pulled up over the front idler. In forward the power passes mainly through the first two teeth on the bottom. So, there is more leeway for the chain to move on the sprocket in forward than in reverse so there is less noise in forward.

If you wish to know more about how it all works:

http://www.tpaktopc.net/files/undrcarguide.pdf

This is a great tutorial from Dresser, but it applies to all brands. :)

If you get into replacing u/c, expect to replace the sprockets with the rails. And, since there is so much more weight on a loader, all the rollers and probably the front idlers as well.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:00 am

have to pipe in on this one: Crawler loader versus dozer: loaders are for loading and dozers are for dozing.If you're to be loading or moving dirt,stone,any sort of loose material then a loader is the correct machine. if you're going to be knocking down trees,digging into virgin ground,doing hard pushes then a dozer is the correct machine. the crawler portion is basically the same: the difference is in the frame for the attachment. Dozer blade frame is heavy duty. Loader frame isn't.
I've passed on several loaders that had been used for dozing: frames all welded up and reinforcing plates everywhere.
on the 455G originally mentioned: right steering clutch pack is probably shot:a couple of thousand for parts.Undercarriage will start at $10,000.00 for parts.Gets uglier from there.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...