350c noise

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
George123
MC crawler
MC crawler

350c noise

Post by George123 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Hello I just bought a 1980 350c loader with a 4in1 bucket and a winch with a arch. It seems to be an ok machine but I haven’t really ran one that much, I helped a buddy of mine log my property with his 450 and I ran it for about 2-1/2 months but I know they don’t have a whole lot in common. I’ve only ran this one about 3 hrs so far. There’s several issues with the machine that I’d like to get someone else’s input on and I’ll apologize in advance for rambling on and probably not making any sense. The main concern I have is when I run the loader and it has time to warm up it makes a knocking/rattling sound from the floorboard. It doesn’t do it when you start it and it takes about 15-20 mins of running for it to start. The fluid and filters were just changed and I have checked them , the dipstick that I think is for the reverser (front right of floor board)? Was low and I added some fluid it seemed to help the noise but then it did it again. It doesn’t seem to effect the operation of the loader but I’m just wondering if I’m causing damage to something by running it. The only other bad issue is that I don’t have much brake with the pedal I do have brake but I have to press it pretty hard to get it to stop especially on any kind of grade. So I was wondering if that’s something that can be adjusted. I’m in the process of getting the manuals for it I know they are a necessity. But thanks for any replies and I’m trying to learn as fast as I can so hopefully no one gets to frustrated with me for my ignorance. Thanks , George.
1980 350c crawler loader winch with arch

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350c noise

Post by B Town » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:55 pm

First, I don't own a 350. But I have read plenty about the infamous isolator failure. Use this site to search for " 350 isolator ". I would say the brakes need an adjustment. Take care, Bruce

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:21 am

Hi,

This does not sound like the isolator. That is essentially a ring on the flywheel which has springs on posts which hook onto posts on a central hub attached to the reverser input shaft. When a spring lets go, they do make a noise but it is not dependent on how long the machine runs. They are noisy mostly when shutting down. When the engine is almost stopped, a busted isolator sounds like someone is inside the bell housing with a sledgehammer.....clunk, clunk, clunk, stop!

This sounds like something in the reverser or transmission which is loosening up as the oil heats up and thins down. Like, maybe, a bearing beginning to fail.

Does it make the noise regardless of the reverser operating position (F, N, R) or all the time once it begins? If it were in the trans, it would stop with the reverser in N at the very least. All shaft motion in the trans ceases with the reverser in N.

The reverser has two clutch packs, a straight thru shaft, and a countershaft off to the side. When the lever is in F, the front clutch is engaged, the rear clutch is disengaged, and power passes thru the central shaft. This rotates the input shaft of the trans forward. When the lever is in R, the front clutch is disengaged, the rear clutch is engaged, power passes thru the side shaft and the input shaft of the trans is run backwards. When the lever is in N, both clutches are disengaged and the trans input shaft is stopped.

So, the noise ought to change from F to R and be silent in N if the issue is in the trans.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

George123
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by George123 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Hello again, I’m not 100 percent sure if the noise changes much between F,N,and R but I will run it again tomorrow and pay closer attention. It also makes a loud whining noise when in the reverse position but I’ve read that that’s not uncommon, although I haven’t seen anything about if that’s a “bad” issue as in need to be fixed now. It does not however make any whining noise when in the actual reverse gear in the forward position. A guy I know said that the rattling noise could be because of cheap fluid I’m not sure what the previous owner changed it with but he said to get a better oil and change it again and see if that helped. It makes sense that it doesn’t do it when it’s cold because the fluid is thicker than when it warms up therefore it’s sticking to the gears better but as I’ve said I’m not a master mechanic so I don’t really know. Thanks for the replies and anymore will definitely be helpful. I’ll run it and check everything again tomorrow hopefully and let you know what I find , thanks again.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:20 am

Someone else may have a different opinion, but I would consider it virtually impossible to be related to "cheap" fluid. The cheap fluid is often made by the same manufacturer as the regular fluid. Wal-Mart doesn't have a refinery, they buy their oil from an manufacturer that makes for multiple labels.
Rattling from inside of a reverser or transmission would worry me.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:18 am

Hi,

That is pretty much the case. Lubricants are made in only a handful of refineries, and each one produces multiple brand names. What is important is the specification of the one you buy. It needs to match the application. In this case, Deere spec J20A or J14C. Those are known as HyGard and Type 303 in the Deere brand. It gets used in the reverser as well as trans, finals and hydraulic system.

The 'cheap' brands out there will meet one or the other of these Deere specs. It may be someone was thinking that a 303 equivalent was used, it being lower cost most places, instead of a HyGard equivalent. In this case it would not matter as 303 was what was used when a 350C was new. HyGard is an upgrade in this case, so it wouldn't matter if that is what was used, either.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

George123
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by George123 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi, sorry for the late response I ran the loader again yesterday and the only time that it sounds like the noise changes is in forward. You can still kind of hear it in forward but not nearly as loud as neutral and reverse. I still haven’t felt anything that’s effecting operation and all the fluid levels are fine. I’m gonna try to get a friend of mine that works on these to come run it and see what he says. On another topic can anyone tell me about the bolts that bolt the front crossbar down to the rail obviously there’s 4 bolts on each side but mine have bushings on them that keep the bolt from tightening all the way down to the crossbar. This creates slack and if you pick up the front of the machine with the loader the crossbar will come up off the rail a little bit until it hits the top of the bushing where the bolt is. The bolt heads are only about 1/2 inch up from the crossbar, and one person said that they needed to be tightened all the way down and another said they where fine so any info on that would be appreciated. Thanks , george

cantbeatadeere
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cantbeatadeere » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:51 pm

I would say turn the engine off when warm and focus on the rattle as the engine comes to a stop, you will actually hear the isolator knock back and forth a couple times when the crank stops turning---that is the isolator rattle. (do a search with my name as a key word) Lavoy who runs this site has a kit that replaces the rattler with a updated and more durable one....as far as the whine in reverse, on mine I checked and re-shimmed my countershaft end play (it was off a mile) and now it is MUCH quieter. Your brake problem if I remember right - the steering brake bands and the foot brake are the same, so, if you adjust the steering clutches to spec. I think your foot brake will also start to work as it should.
1970- JD 2520, 1991- JD 400G long track, 2003- JD 4710, 2012- JD 1026R, 2014 Bobcat E42 long arm, 2016- 14ft dump trailer, 2017- 24ft 11,000lb hyd. tilt equipment trailer aaand 2018 ram 2500 Big Horn CUMMINS :D :D

George123
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by George123 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Ok thanks sorry I haven’t been on here in a long time. What your describing is pretty much exactly what it’s doing I searched your forums and I think you told someone else that the noise was normal on these models, so does that mean that it would be fine to continue using it in that condition. It’s not that I don’t want to fix it I’m just wondering for my own curiosity. However I want to fix potential problems before I go work for someone and end up tearing it up on there property and having to deal with it there. The steering clutches/ brakes work fine on the handles but the pedal is just stiff to make it stop so I thought the pedal could be adjusted some even though I knew that there connected to the same place. Thanks for replying and hopefully I haven’t waited to long to answer back. Thanks