450 Advice?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
RustBucket450
MC crawler
MC crawler

450 Advice?

Post by RustBucket450 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:45 pm

Hello Gentlemen, I recently bought a '67 450 crawler/loader. It has been sitting outside for at least 3 years. Needless to say, it needs some attention. I replaced the fuel lift pump and the fuel filter and tryed to get it started with no luck. The starter spins it pretty good but it won't even pop. I know it's getting fuel because there is some leaking from a couple of the injector tees. I am told that it may have a bad head gasket, there is water in the oil.

My problem is that I need to get it off the property of the guy I bougtht it from and nobody around here will haul it unless I can drive it up on a trailer.

I was thinking of pulling the head to see what is really wrong with it. Any other thoughts or advice?

(Serial numbers are; 2 tags, one is T5E3M 058593TI the other is E7450 004083T)

Thanks in advance for any help!

John
JD 450 Crawler, 4in1 bucket, needs lot's of attention! Also have a IH 500e Crawler with 4in1 bucket.

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:20 pm

Check the head gasket, but the problem with mine was a cylinder liner. I am starting the inmframe rebuild tomorrow. As for moving it, alot of the Landhoff (sp?) trailers have a winch on the front. That might work.

PS. The machine shop I took the head to said that by examining the head gasket, he can usally tell if that is the problem. Also fuel leaking from the tees does not mean it is coming out the injectors.

Bill

RustBucket450
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by RustBucket450 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:44 am

Bill,

Thanks for the advise. I will keep looking for someone with a winch/trailer. There's a local rental yard that has a trailer with a winch but they keep telling me that they don't think it will pull it up. I'm going to try to convince them to at least try. I really would rather not get it running it the condition it's in just to get it up on a trailer. I may do damage to something else. Besides, after all that time I'm sure the steering clutches are probably stuck.

Worst case I will pull the head in the field.

Any idea how much that in-frame rebuild is going to cost?

John
JD 450 Crawler, 4in1 bucket, needs lot's of attention! Also have a IH 500e Crawler with 4in1 bucket.

JAG
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JAG » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:43 pm

RB450, my in-frame cost about $1700 at a small shop that came reccommended by several small construction companies. I believe it was about $1450, plus what the machine shop charged for the head work. Two of the four injectors were replaced. The shop did it over one weekend and loaned me a truck and trailer to haul it back and forth.
JAG

RustBucket450
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by RustBucket450 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:34 pm

Jag,

That seems pretty reasonable. As long as I don't have a cracked block or some other surprise!

Thanks for the info.
John

JAG
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JAG » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:52 pm

John, I would allow a little more than what mine cost. I do not think that I could have gotten that done that cheap anywhere else. The cracked block is a pretty remote thing. It is the sleeves 99 times out of a 100 if the leak is in the motor. My dozer is about a 80-81, 450C and that is what I thought yours was when I first replied. The rebuild was 2 years ago that thing fires right up and runs like a champ ever since. The started was rebuilt at the same time for $45 and with the two new injectors I could not believe how easy that new tight motor would turn over. I hope yours goes as great.
JAG

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 am

I bought the kit for mine with 2 injectors for a little over 500 plus shipping. Before ordering any parts, I recommend pulling apart the engine. I got the wrong pistons and found that out after paying overnight saturday delivery. I will post pictures of the cylinder liners with erosion/hole if anyone wants it.

Bill

PS Getting the rear cylinder liner out in frame is a real PITA because the crossmember on mine was in the way.

RustBucket450
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by RustBucket450 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:29 am

Great news guys! I found a trucking company that actually knows how to move equipment! The plan is to move it this Friday morning. What a relief!

I will be pulling the engine now that it will be at my place. I am looking forward to putting into practice all the things I've learned on this board.

JAG, I'm hoping that I am as successful as you have been with your rebuild. It's going to be spring before it will be done, I'm going to take my time and do it right.

Bill, Thanks for the input on your rebuild cost. Where did you buy your kit? Sounds like a great price. I would like to see the pictures of the bad sleeves. When I tried to start it last weekend it wouldn't fire, even using ether. I can only imagine the holes in the sleeves!

Any advise on how to post pictures here? I read the instructions but couldn't quite figure it out.

Ltr, John

vthartford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by vthartford » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:38 pm

I cannot figure out how to post picutes. I have taken them so if anyone wants to see them, let me know and I will send them to you.

Bill

sandman2234
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sandman2234 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:41 pm

I would be interested in see the pictures, please.
David from jax
Have gun, will travel