450 B or C? New Member

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
FirstEliminator
MC crawler
MC crawler

450 B or C? New Member

Post by FirstEliminator » Mon May 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi guys,

New member here, my name is Mark. I live in North Adams, Massachusetts.

I bought a 450 dozer 6 years ago. Not sure if it is a 450 B or C. The data plate behind my right heel is missing. Are there other ways to tell?

Soon, I will need to replace steering clutches in it. Not sure if it had dry or wet clutches. There are two drain plugs at the bottom of the steering clutch area.

Why are there two level plugs and two fill plugs for the final drives? What type of oil goes in the final drive?

If I knew what model or year this is I could get a manual to answer simple questions like oil type. But, here we are.

thanks,
Mark

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 B or C? New Member

Post by B Town » Mon May 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Welcome to the forum,

The SN plate for the B and C series has two rivets holding an aluminum tag to the front side of the left box. Most of the 450's I have seen without the tag will have the SN stamped into the steel box directly under the area where the tag should be. If the box has no tag and been repainted the stamped SN can be filled in with filler, primer, paint, etc..

The easiest way I can tell between a dry clutch and a wet clutch (B - C) is to look at the final drives from the side. While facing the final drive on the left side of the machine (front of crawler to the left), Look at the top left area of the final drive, a B series will have a triangle shaped cover with bolt holding the cover to the final drive, a C series will not have the cover with bolts. If you can get a good enough/ close enough pic on the internet you can actually see the final drive changes I am talking about.

Without a little more explanation about the plugs you are describing, I am not much help. C series are basically divided into 2 groups- non-common sumps and common sumps(this would include non-commons that have been converted to common sump). This refers to the trans and steering clutch. Early on they were not common-the fluids would not mix, later the C series was changed to a common sump 16 gallons in the trans and 6? gallons in each steering clutch all circulating together. Lots of C series owners don't know if they have non-common or common sumps. If you have a 450 C series and want to know, my advice is to check the dip stick for the trans under the seat. Note the level of the fluid, obviously it should be at the full mark. Drain the trans case only, be prepared for 16 - 28 gallons. If the trans was at the full mark and only 16 gallons comes out, check the steering clutch housing fill plug on the right and left, if they still have oil in them- you have a non-common sump. If you get like 26-28 gallons out and the steering clutch housings a empty both left and right you have a common sump.

FirstEliminator
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by FirstEliminator » Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. I would say it is a B series as there is the triangle cover toward the top of the final drive. So that sounds like I will be needing dry clutches. I'd post some pictures but the dozer is at work and I left my camera at home. I will get some pics together tomorrow for better verification. The only place I see where a tag was is below the seat on the right side there are two rivets, and no tag. I don't see any stamped numbers around there either.

thanks,
Mark

FirstEliminator
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by FirstEliminator » Mon May 07, 2018 4:43 pm

I see a reprinted service manual on ebay for the 450B for 54 dollars. Are original manuals available? Or is this a decent deal? It comes in a 3 ring binder with both the parts and the service manuals.

thanks,
Mark

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon May 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Nothing wrong with reprints of the originals. I try to find originals, but that is just my opinion. Three manuals that are important are: technical manual, parts manual and owners manual.

Send an email to this forums owner(Lavoy) to get access to this sites dedicated photo server. You can read about it in the FAQ section.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon May 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi,

The original Deere manuals do not fit a 3-ring binder. They used a 4-post binder or a back-of-the-bench long manual rack. Some have 5 holes punched and make one think it also fits a 3-ring but the end holes are not quite in the right place. The 4-post binders are great. Heavy duty. But, most manuals I see offered for sale are without binders. Some Deere manuals are paperback bound as well. Just all FYI.

Some folks buy Deere CD manuals and just print off whatever section they need. Personally, I like fully printed manuals so I can read everything on a rainy day. I don't like to read books on a screen, or at least my eyes don't. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)